Question about Open Brain Coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wgchristman

I have 4 Brain Corals that I bought from my LFS a few months ago which were at different stages of recession. It took a few days before they would take any food, but now they are hardy eaters.

Some parts of the skeleton where the Brain's receded are covered with either a dark green algae or coraline. I have seen tissue grow over skeleton that was clean and white, but not over any that is covered with algae.

Will they eventually grow back over this part of their skeletons? Is there a way to possibly help this process out, or should I just let nature take it course?

Thanks

they definitely will nto grow over the lost skeleton (it is too expensively biologically to recover dead corallums)

But you really shold saw away the dead skeleton (use a wet tile saw) and cut into the good tissue . Else the established calcareous and nuisance algae alike will eventually (months/years) burn back the healthy brain coral tissue.

I guess it's time to break out the compound miter saw, strap 'em in and go to work.:D

Thanks for the assistance. I'll be sure to take before and after photos before I commence with the plastic surgery to document my brain's transformation from ugly duckling to the beautiful swan's I know they can be.

Back