Question about plumbing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tyourkie66

Ive been reading up on overflows and sumps and refugiums. Right now my tank is only 40gal and i plan to upgrade to a 75 or 125. I want to add a sump and refugium and if my new tank doesnt have an overflow ill drill it. My question comes on what size to drill the holes, what size pumps to use to get the neccisary water flow.

I know that it all depends on tank sizes and sump sizes. How can i learn what size holes go with which tank sizes and so on.

I have a 40 gal long that is currently my tank, and im eventually going to move that underneath my stand and use it as a sump/refuge. Im also looking for more information about how to create a sump.

If anyone has any info on this topic, id love the help. Leave me links to previous posts, websites, books, or just some advice.

thanks much

Tyourkie

What I found when prepairing to install my closed loop, was that whole size depended on which size and grade bulkheads I purchased. A sch40 1" bulkhead requires a 1 3/4" hole... where a sch80 1" bulkhead requires a 1 7/8" hole.

What worked best for me, was purchasing the bulkheads, then finding the hole saw for that piticular bulkhead... instead of purchasing various hole saws, and hoping that my bulkhead sizes fit them.

As for suggested bulkhead sizes for you... my suggestions also varry depending on which tank size you were to end up upgrading to. On the 75... 1 1/4" overflows, with 1" return probably works well. On the 125, I would use 2 - 1 1/2"overflows, with possiblly 1 1/4" returns... but most likely still the 1" returns there also.

Some of that will also depend on what you choose as your return pump. I found it works best to match the output of your return pump size, to what you use for your return plumbing.

Well... hopefully all of that didn't totally confuse you, and has given you somewhere to start checking for your future upgrade!

Keep us posted on the progress!!! :)

I am tagging along. I also want to have a sump for my 55 gal..
If you asked me how to do any ballet step like tombe, pas de bouree I could tell you but when it comes to plumbing yikes!

does it matter how much flow my pump has? i know the more the better.

but i have a question as to how all that flow does not disturb the refuge.

I would match the flow of your return to the flow of the skimmer you will eventually use in the larger setup. Maybe around 500gph? Also, keep in mind that you will loose about 4' of head while pumping the water from the sump to the tank. Maybe think about a pump rated, for max flow, in the 1000gph range.

As for the more is better statement. I absolutly agree :lol:
If a lot is good, and more is better, then too much is just enough. However, total flow should not be confused with sump flow. You don't have to pump all of your tanks flow through the sump. It would probably be a bad idea.

If you asked me how to do any ballet step like tombe, pas de bouree I could tell you but when it comes to plumbing yikes!

:lol:

Back