Question about rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blooper74

I am going to be doing a 90gal. soon and wanted to know if I can use limestone as a base for my reef? I want to fill the tank with the limestone and then seed it in areas with high quality live rock. If I cannot use limestone, is there any other rock that I could use for this instead of buying base live rock from an LFS or online dealer?

I am trying to save some money in the rock area. I am not in a hurry to stock the tank, so seeding will be fine for the tank for now. Let me know if you can someone, so I can start getting my rock together.

Thanks.

i have heard that limestone raises the ph of fresh water tanks...i am not sure if it affects saltwater tanks the same...i would like to tag along to find out

Limestone is what's used for aquacultured live rock and CaCO3 based. The main drawback to it is the density and possible contaminates if from an unknown source. Most of the aquacultured stuff is quarried inland. If you know where this stuff is from and trust it, there no real concern otherwise. It can make a cheap alternative to using all LR.

I think there's a guy on E-bay that sells under the username hirocks. Used to own a website called hirocks.com I think, not sure.

Cheers
Steve

Steve is correct about hirocks. I have purchased from him a few times. His page is no longer up. If you want his email etc. PM me. Reeferrocks.com is another good one but more expensive.

Back