question on lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

keener1830

lawnmower
I am getting a 110 gal long tank. Should I use 2-250w MH or 3 175w MH. Also should I add 2 46" blue attintic bulbs T-8? I want to get my lighting right the first time. Thanks
David :cool:

Ahh the old open ended what should I do with my lights question. If you are going to have this be a sps and clam tank go with 3x250's. If it is going to be softies lps and some sps at the top then go for the 3x175's. 2x250's won't really light up your whole tank too well. But the price difference between 175's and 250's really isn't much different, so I would just go for 3 right off the bat. Now if you are going to run the 3x250's or 175's there is a good chance you will need to also run a chiller, so make sure that your electrical circuits are up to the task. As for the t-5's those will basically just be for your benefit depending on what mh bulbs you run, so that is up to you.

So if I don't want to run a chiller then what is suggested? Compact flurescent? If so how many should I put on the tank, I am mainly going to have live rock, annomies, a few pollops and aggressive fish in this tank, my nano is going to be my main reef. thanks
David

ok after looking around and with the budget I have I think I figured it out. Will it work if I put 2 48" vho, one acintic blue and the other 50/50 and then 2 normal flourescent 48" bulbs since I already have the normal flourescent ballast? All together there will be 280 w roughly. I am going to stagger the bulbs since the tank is 63" long. Of course I will have moon lights installed too. The question is will this idea work?

oh and the tank is going to house live rock, sand bottom and agressive fish. I am going to put 4-6 fans in the hood to suck heat out.

big t said:
2x250's won't really light up your whole tank too well.

I have 2 x 250Ws on my 120 and it lights up great!

Edit...nevermind....I just noticed the dimensions of the 110 long :oops: LOLOL. Its too early for me to think :D

moon lighting

hey dose anybody know what light to use for moon lighting i was thinking about 3 blue leds but dont know the kalvin rating or if these light are ok because i dont want to upset the corals or fish anyhelp would be great
thanks

You can have two 250's plus t-5's (for actinic supplementation) without a chiller as long as you do your fans correctly.

Having just 2 VHO's and two NO's won't grow much for corals, (just low-light types) but it will save lots of money (no car-insurance comments, please)

Back