Question on skimmer mod?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

iroll253

Could i take two inches off of my eshopps 100h intake pipe? The pipe gets in the way of my rock scape.

This is a pic with the skimmer moved to the left after i removed the fan in my hood. But the fan needs to be there. Can i cut the pipe 2-3 inches so it can be above the highest rock and still have room for coral growth?

Pulled it from the tank till further notice
DSCN2517.jpg

yep, you can do that...
it wont hurt nuthin...
as long as you think enough of the intake tube is going to be submerged after the cuttin,
2" isnt going to negatively effect anything.

Last edited:
For sure bro. I actually ended up moving the skimmer and cutting down the water adjustment knob an inch and a half to fit under my power brights. The skimmer is working, just shooting ALOT of micro bubbles in my tank even after a 2 day vinegar bath. Hope it wont negatively effect anything. The reason i did not cut the intake pipe is because the strainer at the end is glued in place and i didn't have one on hand so i just left it and moved the whole thing. i might end up cutting it in the future tho.

The pipe on the left under the led's is the one i cut a little short. I plan on cutting the intake also eventually.

dont cut the strainer side...the pipe just slides into that 90 so cut it there and slide it back into the 90. how long has it been running on the tank?

That defeats the goal of making the intake pipe shorter.. i already cut the adjustment knob. its only been tested through out the couple weeks. Its had its bath and i just started running it an hour ago. Uploading pics..

The first circle is what i cut. Second what i want too. Also so far the collection cup has been constantly draining back into the display. The water line valve is fully open. Also showing how close it is to my lights. Too my surprise and opposite of what i read the skimmer is dead silent.

DSCN2519.jpg

DSCN2520.jpg

DSCN2523.jpg

DSCN2524.jpg

Sorry another question.. Is it eventually going to stop overflowing the collection cup?? Im going to leave it as is for the time needed.

okay, where you cut on the outlet isnt going to hurt anything, you could in fact plobably cap it, then drill a 1/4" hole in the cap for it to breath, that should slow any of the salt creep you get out of the top of that outlet since it's so close to your lights.

as for the microbubbles..it will take up to 2 weeks worst case scenario to go away, you are waiting for the interior surface of the skimmer to get "slimey" with bacteria, then the air will move up the skimmer more instead of going out the outlet... later as a more permanent solution, if you are still having issues with micro's, you could always try a bubble box from a cpr skimmer on the outlet, then in conjunction with the sponge in the bubble box, you could use one of these:
http://premiumaquatics.com/store/me...=PA&Product_Code=CPR-NBE&Category_Code=Bakpak
and the bubble box:
http://premiumaquatics.com/store/me...Product_Code=CPR-BUBBLE2&Category_Code=Bakpak

Is there not a way to adjust the water level in the skimmer?

From all your pictures it looks like your just not getting much air into the chamber and all water. The more air the pump draws, the less water will be drawn into the chamber.

It looks like your having an air problem. Not enough air means way too much water and it will overflow like you are having.

For example my skimmer is an in sump style but they work the same. Mine has an exhaust tube that is used to adjust the level in the skimmer but also if the air tube gets blocked even if the skimmer was adjusted properly, the cup will start overflowing with just water.

Make sure your air tube is not kinked or blocked in any way.

There is plenty of air going into the tank.. no kinks .. and of course i can kink it and get the effect you speak of.

As for skimmer whisperer thanks for the links ill see what ill need after a week or so and the output came with the cap you mention with the hole already drilled i just took the cap out cut it and put it back in.

And the zipties don't hurt anyones eyes if there not seen in the hood right? :D

Ae you turning the return tube to the right position? there is a samll white dot on it, and that should be positioned towards the back, towards the pipe coming over the tank for return. I run mine with the dot 90 degrees to the pipe and it works great. With the white dot straight back that is full water flow out of the skimmer. and with the dot pointing straight forward that is the lowerest water flow out and will over flow your cup.

Ok I see that now, raise the skimmer up about an inch and see if the level goes down. My return isn't that deep in the water and also the foam peice can get clogged.

Back