Question regarding mushrooms

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mgrelik

I had a fairly large mushroom in my tank near the front. Randomly one day I noticed that the "stalk"(?) had started to stretch and the mushrooms head was about an inch from the rock. As the days went on, it stretched and stretched until it was hanging by a thread of tissue about 8 inches long. One morning I came down to find it completely off the rock, but it had settled in the rear of my tank and was pretty huge.

Now a couple weeks later I see what seems to be the beginnings of a little tiny mushroom on the old rock.

Did I witness the way mushrooms reproduce? or just some freak accident/occurrence?

It appears that way!
I tryied to glue a mushroom down about five different times and everytime he would come loose in about a day or two!(Now I know the "nylon trick")
So any way, he finnaly, after about two weeks of floating around the tank landed in a little hole in one of my rocks! He's been there for about two months!!
AND BIG AND HAPPY!

Some of my Green Mushrooms the same thing they look like they are stretching their base and I have been wondering the same thing about reproduction on these tagging along cuz well I want to know too :)

Last edited:
Yep! that's pretty much how they do it. Most just move over a few inches on the rock and where they were before grows into another schroom.

I had a fairly large mushroom in my tank near the front. Randomly one day I noticed that the "stalk"(?) had started to stretch and the mushrooms head was about an inch from the rock. As the days went on, it stretched and stretched until it was hanging by a thread of tissue about 8 inches long. One morning I came down to find it completely off the rock, but it had settled in the rear of my tank and was pretty huge.

Now a couple weeks later I see what seems to be the beginnings of a little tiny mushroom on the old rock.

Did I witness the way mushrooms reproduce? or just some freak accident/occurrence?

You witnessed a natural type of "fission" reproduction. With mushrooms, you can do this yourself by cutting them as well. It's been joked that with most mushrooms, you can put them through a blender, pour it in your tank, and have hundreds of mushrooms a few weeks later...lol. I'm not convinced it's a joke actually.

Back