Questions about new Circulation Pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi all,
Was just reading something about a new circulation pump available through Drfosterandsmith. Was wondering if anyone's used this pump or could give me any info about it. Wondering if it's any good. Good price if it does what it says. I'm putting together a 75 reef system and am looking for some way to increase my flow (both GPH and randomness) without having to spend TONS of money on wave makers and such. I'm also planning a HOB closed loop system and am wondering what pump to use. The pump will hang outside the back of the tank and pump water from the tank and back to the tank via either a Hydor flow unit or a divided return. I do have about 600 GPH return from sump/refugium, 3 MJ1200s in the tank (2 are using Hydor Flo units) and just want more flow!! lol.

Oh, here's a link to the circulation pump I started off asking about before I went off on my tangent!!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15955&inm=1&N=2004+22788+2035

Ok did some checking on them, availability to US is around feb 15th. Tests so far from Europe have been good. Not as Quiet as Tunze but quieter the Seio. Controller issues.. Have heard nothing on them, But wattage is extremely LOW.... High output with Low wattage good mix. Power Cord is located in tank. Magent/Suction Cup.. is oney that. Allot have thought it was like Vortex , But its not. We all should have them By 15th, hydor I have feeling will have major problems with shipping like Tunze does. But thats it so far, If I see more Ill post it.

At that price, I think I'm going to call up Drfosters and get on the list for the 850 GPH unit. My only concern is that they seem kinda BIG...lol. But for the price, who knows. I'll have to check it out. If I'm the first to get one, I'll let everyone know what I think. I do like the Hydor Flo units as well. I've got 2 of them attached to powerheads. They're a bit large as well but seem to do a great job. They're limited to something like 350 GPH flow though.

I would say that they are too big and odd shaped I would rather have the nano stream myself for the extra 25 bucks...

Matt

From what I just found, the Nano Stream 6025 puts out 660 GPH and costs anywhere between $60.00 and $70.00. The 6045 rates 1189 GPH and runs about $100.00. From there, you jump up to the 6055 with a whoppin' 1453 GPH and at a price of over $200.00. Although, they do seem to be quite a bit smaller than the Hydor unit which is putting out 850 GPH at $40.00.

A lot of talk about the Hydro/Koralia over on Reefcentral forums....
some people have even modded them already!! (those dudes on RC are MOD-CRAZY!)

Size-wise they appear to be just a bit bigger than an MJ-mod...

some have said that there's have weird flow patterns...

I was going to mod some of my maxijets, but I might just get these instead--I like that they have magnet AND suction mounts!

A lot of talk about the Hydro/Koralia over on Reefcentral forums....
some people have even modded them already!! (those dudes on RC are MOD-CRAZY!)

Size-wise they appear to be just a bit bigger than an MJ-mod...

some have said that there's have weird flow patterns...

I was going to mod some of my maxijets, but I might just get these instead--I like that they have magnet AND suction mounts!

A few months ago a budy and I modded a bunch (15) new MJ1200 with every combonation sold at mj mods. $200 worth of stuff, everone turned out fine and they have a cool flow pattern. We made a flow test bucket esentially a bucket with a uniseal and submersed it into my hot tub. Flow was very dissapointing and was not even close to what they advertise or what folks are claiming. I'd sure like to know what the trick is to getting the claimed numbers.:|

Don

Don

A few months ago a budy and I modded a bunch (15) new MJ1200 with every combonation sold at mj mods. $200 worth of stuff, everone turned out fine and they have a cool flow pattern. We made a flow test bucket esentially a bucket with a uniseal and submersed it into my hot tub. Flow was very dissapointing and was not even close to what they advertise or what folks are claiming. I'd sure like to know what the trick is to getting the claimed numbers.:|

Don

Don

Get a tunze:D :D :D

They have been getting pretty good reviews at RC. Supposedly they have a wider flow pattern than the tunze nano streams and like scytale said not much bigger than a mj1200. At the price I don't think think you can go wrong.

Brian

I just ordered one of the tunze nanostreams from PA on monday. Cant wait to see how it compares to my seio's(although Im adding too, not replacing). This koralia though looks like it might be a good replacment for the seios. Their dimensions are slightly smaller, and you dont need to spend an extra 20 bucks to get a mounting magnet. With the amount of problems people have with start up on the big seio's, I dont see how the koralia could be any worse.

I have two of the Korallia 2's which are sposed to put out approx 600 gph...
Not bad. Worth the money IMO....
Not the most attractive things in the world, but they mount easily and do the job quite well for my needs. I have one behind the rockwork in my 58 gallon tank, to eliminate a dead spot and get detritus up to where it can be siphoned out. I had a maxijet 600 in the same spot, attached with a magnet I glued to the side of it....didnt stick as well, and didnt stir up as much water as this does in the same spot.

I'd buy more of these in the future. No word on a controller as of yet...

Nick

Back