quick Bare Bottom Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Eggcrate with PVC "most" may say is better because it allows for better flow underneath all of the rocks, but personally I've never used any with any of the bare bottom tanks I've had and everything was perfectly fine. All you really need is great flow IMO:)

alright, well it was a quick choice sine i really didn't have much eggcrate or pvc so it's on the bottom, i just need more flow now since all i have is a maxi 1200 and the flow from a aquafuge in my 55, i'm going to add a mag5 with the sprinkler for rotational flow and maybe a maxi jet modded

The reason that you would want to put something under the rock is because of the shatter factor. An accidental drop or tumble of a rock could break the bottom of your tank causing a bunch of problems. I would go for the eggcrate myself.

With glass tanks, it is nice to have something like starboard on the bottom for the reason Bainic states. In my acrylic tank, I don't have anything on the bottom. If there are areas where detritus collects, then a blast from a powerhead during water change time, frees the detritus in the water column to be removed.

I agree on putting something on the bottom to protect the tank. I've always used white PVC board bought locally instead of starboard because it is not as reflective on all of my bare bottom tanks (75gal, 38 cube and 24gal Aquapod). I forgot to mention that until I saw the 2 previous posts, but just going on the eggcrate and pvc pipe to lift the rocks off of the bottom, I've never done that. Just used something to protect the bottom :)

hmm, well none of my rocks are even stacked, they're all on the ground in some fashion, so i would think that tumbling is not going to be an issue, especially since i'm making it a frag tank, so egg crate frag racks are planned to go above the live rock

I have been thinking of doing something to the bottom of my new 50 gallon tank. Where would someone find starboard for such a project?

I think you can get it from a local plastics manufacturer. Just do a search for starboard plastic in your area and see what you come up with. Also, you can ask members of your local reef club if they know where to purchase starboard locally.

at the begin i use with starboard on my barebottom tank but with the time it get dirty , the look wasn't nice and was hard to clean it also there was a lot of detritus building under the starboard . i take it out and put all back in the glass now it's easy to clean and look better . if you decide to go with it i will suggest to get the black color and not white one .

well, i decided against it, unless i want to move all the rock to put it on the starboard now, it's going to be a frag tank, so i don't think it'll be a big deal in terms of looks

Back