quick disconnect for flexable tubing?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I always struggle removing my submersable return pump from my sump. I use 1" flexable hose, from the pump up about 2' where it connects to pvc pipe.
What I'm wondering, is there somesort of quick disconnect for flexable tubing?
I'm going to try and do some sump work ( new skimmer) over the weekend and would like to address this issue as well.

Pictures and links would be helpfull.

Plus any suggestions would be appreciated.

a few things you can cut the line and put in a male and female coupler onto the line then untwist it. or buy a "push to connect" fitting. its exactly like a shark bite fitting but not metal. might have to order online tho as most hardware stores only stock up to 3/4 but check mcglendons they have best selection on this type of fitting.

Rather than having it directly into the PVC why not add a union at that connection so you can just unscrew it from the PVC. You can get them cheap at a local hardware like mclendons.

The tank is already plumbed and running. I don't plan to change anything except if I can figure a way to add a disconnect on the flexable tubing in the sump, fairly close to the pump.
If I don't see a way I'm willing to try, I'll just leave it the way it is.

Just looking to fine tune..........................

You could use the union at the pump rather than the PVC.
That's what I'm going to go with.
I have enough plumbing parts to start a small store, amoung them unions.

I was just looking for something new and fancy. :)

im sure theres a way to adapt the quick disconnect hoses for the garden to your pump...
have you considered that? i've seen some in all plastic for sure..
exactly which pump do you have??
i bet the plumbing doesnt NEED to be 1"...
you could just adapt to 1" up at the beginning of the pvc manifold.

Last edited:
im sure theres a way to adapt the quick disconnect hoses for the garden to your pump...
have you considered that? i've seen some in all plastic for sure..
exactly which pump do you have??
i bet the plumbing doesnt NEED to be 1"...
you could just adapt to 1" up at the beginning of the pvc manifold.

I would stay away from this... Those fittings are made from brass and WILL leach copper into your system. If you can find a PVC version that would work.

I looked at McLendons yesterday and I would have had to use hose barbs, reduser, the connectors themselves and the whole connection would have been 6" to 7" long. The hard plastic would have gone to a point where I need it to bend to go over the edge of the sump and curve out and up. Think two 45 degree fittings. I really was hoping I could make something like that work, just because of the simple motion it would take to disconnect the pump. I use these quick disconnects on my water change pumps and python water change hoses.
The 1" union, which I already had will work in the space I have to work with.

nope...
as i mentioned they are made in all plastic as well.
like gardena brand.

ive tried these and think they rely on more pressure than most of our pumps put out. have an iwaki rlxt30 and used one on a garden hose with the intent of quick water changes. they leak if they don't have enough pressure to make a seal on the rubber o-ring gasket.

Back