Quick Dropping Alk

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snowboarda42

Cirrhitichthys falco
I have a strange dilemna in my tank right now. I checked today to see what my alk was and it came back really low (1.6 meq/L). So I mixed up some Baking Soda and Baked Baking soda in a container with fresh water until it was clear and poured it in. I got the measurements from the calculator. Alk came right up and maxed out my crappy Red Sea test kit (3.9 meq/L). I know I need a different kit, I just ordered one. So I know my dKH is at least 10.92 since 3.9 meq/L = 10.92dKH.

Then, I check it about 4 hours later and its back down to the same 1.6 area. :mad: Bummer. I even checked it twice.

Any Ideas what would be causing this? :?: My calcium is a little high right now (520) I'm letting it come down on its own.

Here's my setup and params.
40B
45Lbs LR
60LBS of LS (I just added 20lbs more a few days ago)
I'm also running carbon.

Temp 80.3*
Specific Gravity 1.025
Ph 8.4
NO2 0
NH3 0
NO3 0
PO4 0
Ca 520

I dose Calcium Chloride (mixed in FW, then poured in), but I havent added any in a while. I use half regular baking soda and half baked baking soda to not make a big pH change. I also have C-Balance but I haven't used any yet. I have Kalk (pickling lime) that I started dosing overnight slowly tonight.
5% water changes every week (Reef Crystals Salt & RO/DI)
The tank has been up for just over a month, has no fish, a few coral frags, 8 turbo snails, a few hermits, crabs, etc.

I have also noticed in the top corners around the tank is a whiteish colored hard film. I assume it might be some kind of precipitate.:evil:

:?: So why is my Alk dropping so fast?:?:

Last edited:
Stop the kalk for now. Your consumption is near 0. Do more water changes (with balanced water) and dose nothing, not even baking soda.
Wait for real test kits to arrive. I hate to say it but with that little of consumption, all the playing with the chemistry is doing you more harm than good. Dont even bother testing with the red sea test kit. Makes no sense to test with lousy kit then act on the results of that same lousy kit.

Don

crappy Red Sea test kit (3.9 meq/L).

This kit is notorious for reading really high. As Don suggested wait for a new klit.

My calcium is a little high right now (520) I'm letting it come down on its own.

Well, there is a reason for that Alk and Ca++ dropping. That high Ca++ at 550 ppm and not at 520 ppm. If the Alk drops 1 meq / l or 2.8 dKH it will take 20 ppm Ca++ with it as abiotic precip. In short you are making limestone in your tank ;) An olden day method for the high Ca++ levels was to raise the Alk with baking soda, what you are doing.

Back