Quick question about bulkheads!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have always put them inside the tank.

The gasket will seal the edge of the bulkhead so water can not seep under it. If you put it on the nut side, the water can seep under the bulkhead and out the threads.

Last edited:
Lorrie is a plumber so she knows what she is talking about! :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HA! I dont get paid enough...but then I dont get it done very fast either. What did it take me, like two months to do the plumbing on the 180? But it was done right the first time. ;)

HA! I dont get paid enough...but then I dont get it done very fast either. What did it take me, like two months to do the plumbing on the 180? But it was done right the first time. ;)

Well that's the right way to do it. Take your time and get it done right. My 38 gal cube I had, I went and plumbed it nicely for a closed loop using one pump knowing very well I'd probably want more flow and sure enough I had to chop it up and plumb it again adding in another pump.

One thing to keep in mind with bulkheads it to never over tighten. Hand tight is more than sufficient. When I get on my computer, I will look for a picture of a bulkhead I once used when joining to sumps together. It was the nicest bulkhead I had ever seen with a gasket that was split in the center that allows the gasket to be used on both sides. Really nice. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here it is...

2iuvpd0.jpg

34gx7qe.jpg

Gasket ALWAYS goes on the inside.

You will only mess that up once....

Nick

if i have more than one gasket i use one on the inside and the outside. double protection.

The one outside does nothing.
The inner gasket is the one that prevents the water from escaping.
Its held by the pressure of the nut on the back and also by pressure from the water in the aquarium pushing against it. Because water cannot get past it, it cant leak out.
Gasket outside the aquarium prevents bulkhead from forming a proper seal and can allow water to seep out the threads of the bulkhead.

You're better off not using two gaskets and instead sticking with the one inside the tank.

Nick

I tell people that the gasket always goes on the side of the flange if it is on the water side or not. We have installed the both ways thousands of times. If you would like a little more piece of mind just add a little aquarium silicone to both sides of the gasket. The biggest problem is over tightening. You will break stuff abd have big time leaks. Hand tight with a quarter to a half turn with a wrench. We use large sockets with a ratchet since we install so many. Good luck, Jason

Back