Quick question about stocking a tank.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

esears

Hi, I just recently upgraded my 75g to a 125g tank with about a 45gallon sump underneath. I'm sort of curious as to what people my stocking options and possibly recommend a few options as I obviously don't want to overload the tank. In the tank as it is we currently have:

1 Foxface Rabbitfish - He's most likely fullgrown, about 6 inches from tip to tail.

2 False Perc Black Clowns that we've had for about 6 months or so. Fully hosted in their anemone and seem to be quite happy although the female is a bit aggressive if you go anywhere near her anemone.

1 Bangai Cardinal - 4 months or so

1 Pajama Cardinal - 6 months or so we've had it

1 Red Scooter Blenny - 6 months

1 Lawnmower Blenny - about 3-4 inches in length and around 5 months old that we've had it.

1 Six-Line - 2 inches

1 Green Clown Goby

I don't want to obviously overstock the tank but I'm looking for a few more fish. I particulary like fish that tend to school. This is a reef tank btw.

I would throw in a few more pajama cardinals so they could school.

What kind of reef are you going for?
Depending on what you want to keep in corals would help determine how much fish you would want to keep also, how much LR & other filtration equipment do you have. One last thing is how much husbandry are you willing to do weekly?

I love the way Green Chromis or Bartlett's Anthias school. I believe your aquarium could handle 5-6 of either but you'd have to stay on top of nutrient export (i.e. skimmer, WC's)

Hmm..as to what I'd like mine and my wife's reef to be. I tihnk I'm pretty easy. We mostly like mushrooms, xenia and zoas. Not really into all the other corals that much although we do have some frogspawn that is doing quite well. We have about a 8-10" brain that the only real reason I like it is because the bottom half of the rock is covered in mushrooms. Dusters and such also we like quite a bit.

Right now there is about 100 lbs of sand and probably 160lbs of rock in the tank. I have another 80-100 lbs of rock that I'm slowly working on putting in since it isn't fully cured. Heck, it sat on my front lawn in the sun for 3 weeks so its pretty much dead. That was due to a tank crash though.

We have one of the RS200 sumps and a Predator skimmer that is located here:

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18294&cat=521&page=1

A little unknown but it works extremely well. I'm also running a phosphate reactor with ROWAphos changed about every 4 months or so.

I don't mind doing the husbandry part of it considering I spend about 8-10 hours a week or so right now with little DIY projects. Its time I could probably easily see myself keeping up with.

However I am deploying to Iraq in a week or so, therefore I am trying to get the tank to be as stable as possible for my wife. She's great with just about everything and we are planning on having Indoor Reef come by once a month to just pick up on any slack that we may have.

Back