Quiet air cooled pumps (external)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
:spy:What are you favorite return pumps that are on the quiet side.
I used to like the panworld for lower power consumption and quietness. They ran a bit hot. Need a no-huge air cooled quiet pump for in my office next to the phone.
Suggestions?

Might lead to a poll :>)

I have the same problem as the industry likes the louder is more powerful like an 80's vacuum. I am using the really old quiet one (purple) under my reef and a Mag7 in the planted. Of course the quiet one tends to dump heat in the water as it has no fan.

I have a Panworld and GenX on a shelf. Too noisy but someday I will make an epic WC system.

Does anyone have the ability to measure noise (well)? I would fire up a few pumps to baseline noise and noise/gph.

Mike, don't you have hard woods in there? Once I put hardwoods down I couldn't deal with the sound of an external pump. Have you considered an in sump? it would be as quiet as you could get without a remote sump. Me like quiet!!!

Mike, how about a Poseidon with a small clamp fan blowing on it?
I had the 180 setup that way with no problems with heat.

try an atb flowstar ...they are just as quiet as the red dragon's and a fraction of the price...plus you don't have to deal with proline aquatics to get one

Thank you all.
I currently have many excellent in sump pumps, trying to use air cool to save on the next display's cooling amps.
Chris and Marty, both seem like excellent suggestions.

Chris, been a long time, how are things pal?

man i need to rethink my pump strategy....lol that ATB Flow Star is an awesome looking pump and has small foot print as well

man i need to rethink my pump strategy....lol that ATB Flow Star is an awesome looking pump and has small foot print as well

I'm thinking the 1500 is something I would want. Seems like a awefully big price jump for the 1800............

dolphin ampmaster was quiet for me when I had my 90g, but that was 8 yrs ago..im sure there are better pumps made now.

JEFF!!!!!!!!!!!!! After over four years you gotta change that nasty pic.........

I run the ampmasters to, my return pump has been going for almost 7 years?? I believe, dead quite and only 1 amp of a 3000gph

Mojo

I'm enjoying the 70 degree weather in the middle of winter down here in the bay. I have to get my sponsor stuff together so I can start showing off my aquaculture project (~1600 gallons and growing everyday!)

I vote the Eheim!

Eheim 1262 Universal Pump:

• Pump Output: 900 gph
  • Delivery Head: 11`6"
  • Power Consumption: 80 W (120V/60Hz)
  • Hose Connection (Suction Side): 1"
  • Hose Connection (Pressure Side): 3/4"
  • Dimensions: 8.6" x 4.6" x 6.3"
  • Weight: 5.7 lbs

Back