Quiet External Pump Suggestions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

parrothead

I am looking for suggestions on a quiet external pump for my 135g reef, with about 180g in the system total. It is set up with 2 sumps below the tank, one a refugium, the other a standard sump and skimmer. I have an Iwaki 30RLXT driving the return on one sump, and have been running a Blueline Velocity T4 on the other. The Velocity T4 recently failed, so I replaced it with an Iwaki 40RLXT I had. The 40RLXT is very noisy, with a loud hum. I need to replace it, as it is irritating to listen to. Since the pumps are located in my stand, which is in our family room, the noise the pumps generate is a major consideration for me. The quieter the better. I really like the Velocity T4, it is the quitest pump I have ever used or heard. The problem is that it puts heat into the system, raising the water temperature a few degrees for my size tank. I am thinking to go with another Iwaki 30RLXT, but would be interested in other suggestions anyone else has. Anyone have any experience with the Blueline HD Series of pumps? They claim to be quieter than Iwaki. Any other brands?

Thanks,

Mike

I like my Quiet One pump a lot. Took about two weeks for it to be silent. Guess there is a breaking in period.

Back