quiet one pump/flow questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

macronut

I'm looking to purchase a Quiet One pump for my 90 gal tank. Model 600 12.2ft at 0 head pressure, 1506 gph, or the 4000 10ft 0 head pressure 1017 gals per hour. I hope I figured this correctly, but to determine the number of times the pump will circulate all water in the system i took and divided the number gph by my size tank, (90). So the 1506 gph model will turn over the tank about 16 times, and the 1017 gph calculates to 11 times per hour.

How do you calculate loss for head pressure? I want good flow for a mixed tank, but I don't want a hurricane! I'm going to attach my SCWD to this pump and have two returns on either side of the tank. I hope to get a nice back and forth motion.

My overflow has a 1" duroso pipe. Will either of these pumps be two large for the overflow? I don't want to add powerheads as I am trying to keep as much equipment in the sump and out of sight. Secondly will the 1506 gph just be to much for a 90?

Thanks for the link, much appreciated. I feel stupid as I am now confused. The 4000 model the total losses are 8.83 feet of head pressure, or 3.81 PSI. with a flow rate of 274 GPH. Is this 274 gph loss off the 0 head pressure, or the actual gph the pump will circulate?

Same for 6000 model? Total losses are 9.89 feet of head pressure, or 4.28 PSI. with a flow rate of 425 GPH.

Once you enter all the figures in and click on calculate, the final figure will be the rate you will get.
Or atleast a close estimation. Sometimes I kind of question the figures. Especially when comparing 90's and 45's.
One way to really help boost you flow rates is to go up a size in pipe dia.

Back