Quiet One Vs Mag for Return Pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
I've always used Mag Drive pumps for my return pumps. Never tried a Quiet One, but the power consumption
is much less than the Mag pump. Any suggestions?

I tried a mag5 for my return. Thing was so dang loud! Seriously! Plus it got hot.
I now use a Sicce Syncra 2.0. (Thanks mfinn) Can't hear it at all. Great pumps IMO.

I have used a Mag pump before....loud. Currently using a Jebao dc pump for 180g and Eheim for 40g frag tank.

I used a mag 7 and a mag 9.5 before. Switched over to an eheim and jebao DC pump... so much quieter.

I used a quiet one pump as a return and while it wasn't as loud as the mag pumps I've used, I'm pretty happy with sicce syncra silent pumps for submersible return pumps.

Hey Ron!! :D

I think everyone has used a magdrive lol. I ran quite a few of them for different things and I would agree with the noise and heat. The reason I guess so many people used them were they are pretty good pumps despite for the price. :)

I have both. Mag is loud and quiet one does not turn on about 20% of the time. Gotta plug it in and out a few times to get it going. Other than that it's been reliable for years

I used the Mags, for awhile, but I upgraded to a larger tank and needed more flow so I bought what I could afford. I got a Rio 3100. Then I upgraded again to my 120 gal. I have now and still used the Rio 3100 (900 gph). That quit working after 2 1/2 years and needed a pump fast. I called Shark Reef and got a Rio 17 HF (1190 gph), that's all he had, unless I wanted to go smaller. I have been pretty happy with it, it is quiet and pumps water great and it was only $80.00.

Back