Quite One 5000 Pump.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dwdenny

I am in the middle of planning my tank whick is a 45g breeder tank and was going to use a quite one 500 as the CL pump. I was originally going to use a Gen-X/Mak4 but hear they are loud and add heat(here in South Texas not a good thing)lol. I think a secquence would be great but way to powerful on a 45g display. Anyway what does every one think of the Quite One pumps.

Dwdenny,

Well I have a quiet one 6000 doing exactly what you are planning on using a 5000 for, and mine seems to work fine. I definetly have a heat "issue" in my tank, but I suspect it is the Mag 12 and mag 9.5 in my sump , and not so much the quiet one. One thing to note is that the threads on the pump seem to be a slightly different pitch that the standard NPT. The fittings that came with the pump fit perfect, but I used a threaded PVC end, and it would thread on, but it would bind up when I tried to take it off. Be careful as I acutally broke a 4000 trying to take a fitting off. (acutally cracked the impeller magnet!). As far as quiet, it is reasonably good, makes some vibrating kinda noise, but you might be able to get that to go away by mechanically isolating it better, MUCH quieter that the Little Giant pump I originally put in it's place.

Just my 2 cents....

Jack

Thanks for the info. That is wierd that the threads are different that sucks that it broke on you. I was thinking of putting some vibration dampening sponge that I have that is about 1/4" thick that i got from my uncles shop(electrician):) Every other pump that I look at is way bigger and consumes a lot more electricity. I will try it and it it does not work they way I want I can sell it. It will be inside my stand so i can do some things to help quiet it down if needed. Thanks for the reply

Also remember that it is mechanically connected to the pipes, and they will transmit some of the noise too :) I think that's what causing what little noise I get :) Not sure how to "fix" that, but I would make sure
that the pipes don't make contact with anything they don't need to :)

Jack

That could be a problem. I will be using flexible PVC as the plumbing to help reduce some of those noise making connections as well as help reudce the head pressure from elbows and other fittings.

Acutally I think that flexable PVC will probabaly work better for the noise isolation issues. it will decouple the pump from the rest of the world. (Mine is plumbed with hard PVC).

Oh, one more thing. I would not plan on turning it on and off for "wave" motion. It makes a LOT of noise when it starts up, and is trying to figure out which way to go :)

Jack

no the pump will be running 24/7 no SCWD or anything just straight pumping. thanks for the input. Makes things a lot easier. I got out when me woved 450 miles back home so now I am setting up another tank as I was having with drawls lol. When we purchase another house(renting now) I will be planning a 120g so that I can have lots of expensive stuff and a lot of DIY.

Thought I would show it off a little nothing but stand and tank but hey any chance I get. Stand and Canopy are DIY will be using t5 for lighting.

IMG_0079.jpg

Back