R.o. Water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mark peacock

marine67
:?: Good morning guys i have recently bought a ro unit for my reef tank and need to know is it possible to leave fresh ro water in seal containers for a week with out heater or water movement because of the pain staking time to do it (to prepare for when i need it):)

i would not....

because siting water will stagnate.

something to do with gas's or something like that.

your probly better off. (eazyest i think) just geting a bucket filling it up and puting a power head in it... the power head (something kinda big) will heat the water for you. (in a 5 gal bucket)

have you consiterd a small 25-30L water butt with a small heater and small power head? like plastic...

Picture3001052.jpg

Picture3001053.jpg

Picture3000266.jpg

Picture3000265.jpg

Picture3000298.jpg

but you anwser your question, ive bin told its not a good idea....

I store my RO water in a 25gal (food grade) container without heater or powerhead. I use this for top off water. The water going into my sump at one time is so minimal I am not worried about temp. For water changes, I have another 25gal tank containing my saltwater which does have a heater and powerhead going in it. I do 10 to 15 gallon water changes weekly. After a water change, I mix more saltwater up and it sits in the tank with the power head and heater about a week before I use it. It's a bad idea to use freshly made saltwater for water changes IMO. You can see pictures of my RO setup by clicking on the link below and then clicking on the Sump Room link.

LOL:) i was thinking the same thing about his plane:).
i have a 138 ltr water butt with ready ro.water heated to temp with power head and air line and salted but woundered if you could store for quickness looks like i am going to stick with what i do cheers.

Stored RO water is fine, most do so. Obviously make sure it is aerated and free of impurities before use.

Am using a tiny (35 GPD) unit to supply both my 72 and 180. Without storage, no way it would work out without storage. Actually filled the 180 and sump with it, took a week to save up enough water:lol:

Last edited:
I would hope everyone's RO water would be free of impurities :), else it's filter changing time. Best way to check though is with a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter.

Never assume stored RO water is pure. Sealed, it is a fairly safe bet save for any leaching from the container. Left open for awhile, can collect dust and what-not.

I would hope everyone's RO water would be free of impurities :), else it's filter changing time. Best way to check though is with a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter.

RODI water is a funk magnet. Youve removed the chlorine so nothing there to keep i from getting nasty.

Don

I make RO in a 33g brute can and leave it churning with a ph. I do transfer it two 2 ea 6 g water jugs where it sits as I use it as top off. I've never "noticed" any ill affects

Back