Raising clams to increase their value with larger sizes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gordonious

I just recently upgraded my lighting and when I was telling my brother about all the different animals I could not keep that I could not keep before. I told him about the clams and he said that would be awesome. But the thing is I am on a limited budget currently and I'm trying to only purchase things that I may one day be able to make a profit on.(I hope to build a green house and get into aquaculture about a year from now when I finish my undergrad)

I thought about it again later when I saw someone posting about a large display size coral in one of the forums. I realize they are often horribly slow growers, but what if I stuck a couple little ones in one of the prop tanks in a green house and kept them for a couple years letting them grow out a little. I think this would be fun to do and add a little bit of diversity to the things I would have to offer. I wouldn't get more then a handful of them because they would take up space and take a long time to increase in value.

I know you Calfo preaches not to waste space on things in a propagation system that aren't making any money, but wanted to ask peoples thoughts on if this might be worth doing.

Clams grow fast. Most can just buy a small one and let it grow. I dont think if your looking to make a profit that growing a clam is going to do it. Your never going to recover your expenses and larger clams are much tougher sale. Crocea's are a dime a dozen and are slow growers, other tridac's quickly outgrow the majority of tanks. Most people have smaller tanks under 200g and just dont have room for giant clam.

Don

Don

Back