Random Coral Bleach

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyTemple

Wierd thing - I had a random sps frag go from full color to bleached white (no color whatsoever) from one day to the next. I don't think that any corals "stung" it, what else can cause it. Everything in the tank is looking great otherwise...:doubt:

Hello,
There are many factors that cause RTN (Rapid Tissue Narcosis) and sometimes for no reason at all. Some of the thinngs to check are:
PH
Sudden swings in temperature.
Sudden swings in alkalinity.
Sudden exposure to high light levels.
Water changes, addition of ozone, and replacement of old bulbs, can all cause the light levels to increase suddenly. Each coral is an individual and as such has a different tolerance of changing environment.

Regards,
Kevin

Water changes,

When you say this Kevin Are you reffering temp swings? Salinity changes?

kevinpo said:
Hello,
There are many factors that cause RTN (Rapid Tissue Narcosis) and sometimes for no reason at all. Some of the thinngs to check are:
PH
Sudden swings in temperature.
Sudden swings in alkalinity.
Sudden exposure to high light levels.
Water changes, addition of ozone, and replacement of old bulbs, can all cause the light levels to increase suddenly. Each coral is an individual and as such has a different tolerance of changing environment.

Regards,
Kevin

thank you for the insight - that is interesting. My levels have all been very steady and I haven't made any large changes such as referred to above. I will continue to check things out, but as I mentioned thanks for the info.

Hi Jeff,
I'm referring to the light transmission of clean water :) Water that has been in a tank yellows considerably which in turn reduces the transmission of light. A water change of 20-40% can change the light intensity enough to change color of corals and sometimes cause RTN (usually in conjunction with other factors).

Regards,
Kevin

Back