razor clams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Phuture1

hi folks. i'm new around here. so far so good.
i was wondering if someone could help me out with a little advice?
my little son found a razor clam at the beach and brought it home.
would i be able to put it in my 45 gallon reef tank?:confused:

to warm, would kill it !
It would live for a little but I would put it back, (Its illegal to take livestock from the beach)

According to the department of fish and wildlife it is illegal to take any animals or plants from parks with a few exceptions. If the property is state, county, or private with public access as long as it is collected in a manner according to the rules and regulations then it is legal.

As far as keeping it in your tank, forget it. Just take it back to the beach.

I guess I should have noted where you were. If your in NY the regulations may be different then in Washington state where many of us are.

Glad someone said it before me....before giving out advice on what's legal or illegal, might be best to check up on where the person lives. I don't know if it's legal or not...nor is that really the important issue. The clam wouldn't live in your tank and might introduce parasites, bacteria or any of many other potential harmful things!!

I use razor clams in my homemade food (legally caught during open clam digs here in Washington). The fish love it!. If you decide to use as food be sure to freeze it first to kill off any possible parasites (freezing also pops open the shell so you can get to the meat easily).

Back