Recirc octopus 200 8"x29"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bradreef

always kidding
Set up two days ago and ready to skim. still working out how I will plumb it. Great quality cast acrylic and solid plumbing. here are some pics.
In the inner box.
skimmer-1.jpg

all the parts(cell phone in middle for size)
skimmer3.jpg

skimmer2.jpg

half full
skimmer4.jpg

size compared to my Euroreef es
skimmer5.jpg

It looks awsome Brad!!! I can't wait to see this thing running on your tank. It looks like a monster!!! Please post some pics of your pumbing if you get a chance. BTW I took your advise and ordered one for myself from aqua cave (200 recirc). Yeee Haaa!!!!

Thanks
Brian

mungus that is kind of the trick there with plumbing. as you can see in the last pick the inlet is rigged but glued with pvc glue. the outlet converted into a 1 1/4 coupling and then 1 1/4 pipe. metric plumbing. it comes with orings that need to be added to the attachments on the pump and inlet as well as rubber washers. I was hopeful and tried to feed it with my entire return. not going to work so I am going to t off with a ball valve. When I was feeding it with 300 gph pump it was about perfect.

here are my plumbing picks
intake(from the overflow in an AGA)

plumbing3.jpg

There is a split off I can adjust ball valves on both sides to regulate the height of the bubbles.
plumbing2.jpg

outlet bad pic(1 1/4" coupling to 1 1/4 " pipe) from metric to us
plumbing1.jpg

My cucumber
cumber.jpg

Hey Brad im confused, your feeding your return into the skimmer, is there enough pressure to overcome the skimmer pump? and wont this back up the overflow? i wanted to try this but wasnt sure if there would be a gain, do you know if this is possible with a beckett set up? thanks Steve

Steve he is feeding the skimmer with the drain line from the tank. It is tee'd off (with ball valve) so he can controll how much water is going into the skimmer and how much is bypassing into the sump. If you look at the second picture you can see the water draining into the sump. You can use this setup on a beckett skimmer but you have to have it set up as a recirculating beckett. (not to tough to do) Here is a link with some recirc. becketts.
http://www.myreefcreations.com/psstandard-r.htm

HTH
Brian

here is a 24 hour view of skimming. 75 gallon tank 4 fish. medium load and food.
Last night
octo2.jpg

octo.jpg

Tonight
octo3.jpg

octo4.jpg

Probably a half a cup of skimmate or more.

Last edited:
Brad, you're going to love this skimmer! Best bang for buck! One thing, there's too many peeps trying to mod these into super-skimmers. IMO, just leave them as they are. Now, here's mine from brand new to 1 week ... see what I mean, stock standard except for the washer notch in the venturi.

ReefOctopus3000.jpg

ReefOctopus3000008.jpg

ReefOctopus3000009.jpg

Tone :)

there is a thread titled cheap octopus skimmers. it is a sponsor. Also I cant remember if you are local but Mario at Ocean reef Aquatics has been looking into these so he could be the first local shop to get them. I bought mine at Aquacave before most places had them.

thanks brad,
i remembered reading that thread just last week but couldn't remember the title.

Also I cant remember if you are local but Mario at Ocean reef Aquatics has been looking into these so he could be the first local shop to get them.

(in bremerton)
yeah, actually i was over at ocean reef aquatics paying mario a visit one day not long ago when you had called him on the phone to talk about these skimmers. i guess i'll have to give him a call to see what the status is.
i'd rather buy from a local vendor than some drop ship internet company in sheboygan.

Back