Recirculating versus Standard

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcvicker

Loony Bin
My skimmer broke about a month ago and was limping for the couple months before that. I am looking at getting a new skimmer that works well, but is not totally extravagant (i.e. less than $400). Just based on general principle is it better to get a standard skimmer rated at 400 gallons or a recirculating skimmer rated at 150 gallons? It would be for a 60 gallon aquarium. The recirculating are more costly for the same volume, however I have always heard you can't have too large a volume. I understand the principle behind the recirculating and it sounds like the effluent will be much cleaner, but less water will be being treated. Any help on figuring this out would be appreciated.

Tagging along.
Also think electricity. When I was picking new skimmers I went rec. because they draw a lot less current, and sump water level doesn't effect them as much.

Last edited:
Great Thread. I just got done reading (2 hrs) and will be making some changes to my skimmer. Thanks:D

QUOTE=maxx;319320]Long read but totally worth it....

Skimming 101

Nick[/QUOTE]

I dont know.... i guess its in the eye oF.... really since ive never had anything eother then aqua C (nor will i)

if its not dark enough simple clean it.. raise it or adjust it... and try ageain...

Ive worked with the remora and E series... the E's are a little more difficult to adjust (1-2 days) worth of adjusting as the remora will take about 2 hours (granted you dont put your hand in the tank that day)

never had any problems..... but then ageain thats only cause ive use only Aqua C....

but ive seen some nasty storys.

Back