Recomended Chillers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

adunn79

Happy Valntines day!

I have a 180 gallon bowfront reef tank with three 250 mh. one 400 mh and one 150 mh.

What brand of chiller seems to be the most reliable?

What size do I need?

This time of year the tank stays between 72 in the am and 77 in the pm.

I run a cooling fan over the top of the tank 24hrs a day now but want to get a chiller before summertime temps in my house cause an issue.

Andy

pacific coast imports is what alot of people use around here...but there certainly is better and more expensive.
but pci is good for the money, local, and most stores that stock chillers here have them.
we use them in the store i work at for our main display and reef systems, and i have used several of the smaller models as well.

If it in your living room or something like that I wold consider aqua-logic, depending on your chilling needs, heat draw down probably a 1/3rd H.P. but research it more. These are quieter chillers, & cost almost twice as much but considered one of the best. You would need to consider having a circuit that can handle the high current demands. For sure get lots of opinions before making a costly purchase!

I have a PCI Sealine-500 which is a 1/2 hp on my 125g display and connected through about a 40g sump that has a little over 1100w of MH on top of it, its relatively quiet, no louder than the fans that it replaced and obviously has no problem keeping the tank cool at all, plus I have room in the future for an upgrade. Only downside is the price which runs close to 900$.

Happy Valntines day!
Happy Valentines Day to you as well!

What brand of chiller seems to be the most reliable?
What size do I need?
I think you have already been given some really good brands to check into. I know, on my 180, my PCI (Pacific Coast Imports) CL-640 (1/4hp) does the job nicely for me.

This time of year the tank stays between 72 in the am and 77 in the pm.
I'm a little concerned with your LOW end temp range here. I have always heard we want to keep our tanks between 77 & 80... and personally have noticed when my tank gets down below that 77 degree mark, things start not liking it much. I don't know exactly what type of tank you have setup, and that may be the reason for your lower temps???

Thank You

pacific coast imports is what alot of people use around here...but there certainly is better and more expensive.
but pci is good for the money, local, and most stores that stock chillers here have them.
we use them in the store i work at for our main display and reef systems, and i have used several of the smaller models as well.

Thanks

I appreciate your thoughts.

Andy

well lets see If u want to go a little cheeper here is what I am in the proccess of doing I will use a little pond pump basically the 5 gal per hour ran through some plastic pvc flexi line into a adj peckock on both in, ext.This will run into a cheaper fridge aka a beverage cooler preferable with Ice area.I will drill in the fridge and run this line on the bottom exactly two feet of line on fridge bottom and out .I have to ask with the temps u are at now versus the time of light each day?Are u just being cautious. ANy ways this way I can adjust it to drop the temp so much during day,.THREE fish with one hook l.o.l.

sorry my computer geeked out before I could finish ,well this way I have a pop cooler in the house and a place for fish,shrimp,and a cooler for the tank like I was tryin to say three fish one hook ha ha .let me know what ya think ?

Thanks I had actually thought about that but I am away from home a lot and want to be sure the temp stays stable.

Looks like I am going to go with the Pacific coast 1/4 hp CL 600.

It would be nice to compare the noise level to something we all can relate to, like is it as loud as a refrigerator, or a dish washer? I just like to know how much noise these things make in general!

Scooterman,

My CL-650 does sound about like your standard Refrigerator when it kicks in. This isn't any problem with my setup, since my sump and all filtration is out in the garage, so there is no change what so ever in the house.

Hope this helps give you a basic idea???

Yes it does, I will have to keep the chiller inside so I need one quite! I wish they would all post the DB rating on them to compare LOL

Yes it does, I will have to keep the chiller inside so I need one quite! I wish they would all post the DB rating on them to compare LOL

My cl650 starts with a clunk like you dropped something heavy on the floor. Then squeels loudly like you were wringing its neck for a minute or so. Then it rattles like you were shaking a pill bottle. Then it shuts down with the same clunk it starts with.:lol:

Don

My cl650 starts with a clunk like you dropped something heavy on the floor. Then squeels loudly like you were wringing its neck for a minute or so. Then it rattles like you were shaking a pill bottle. Then it shuts down with the same clunk it starts with.:lol:

Don

LOL Too funny Don!!! :D

Mine tried doing that also, but I found by reading Pacific Coast's booklet that came with the chiller, that some maintenance is required... like cleaning the fan, and lubrication. Once I put some GOOD grease on things, most of those "Clunks" have quieted down... thankfully! :) Still sounds like my Fridge running though. But, like I said, its in my garage, so who really cares, as long as it does the job! :D

Back