Recommendation about return pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ELMATATAN

I want to hear the opinion of experts based on the experience they have, return pump would you recommend? to use sump In or Out? Tank 120g 48" x 24" x 24", Sump 36g 36" x 14" x 16"

How much flow can your overflow/s handle? Also, when you say "to use sump in or out" are you referring to whether you should use an internal or external pump?? Let us know...Also what kind of space do you have to run a submersible pump for a return in your sump as well as what space do you have in your stand (if you are using a closed in one) for an external pump to sit. That way we can figure out which pump would be best for you to use with the space you have to work with :)

Whatever you do be careful with those Quiet One pumps!! I had 2 of the 6000's and they got really hot!! :shock: Where Eheim is concerned I've heard nothing but great things about them. Mag drives have been around forever and a lot of people have had experience with them and are still using them. Not a bad pump for the price but you have to keep an eye out for heat sometimes with them and noise. :)

im a reeflo guy had all of the pumps mentioned above. im running a dart on my tank except my sump is 36x24x18. so a snapper will be good enough for you. i also have both overflows as drains only

I would also go with the 1260 and steelhead has one for sale for $50 in the equipment for sale section great deal.

Briain

Good to go in order, as I told my tank is 120g and has two overflow, and when I meant to use pump inside or outside the sump pump I meant to use external or internal, also said that my sump is 33 "x 14 "x 16" (35g) and if I have a space inside and outside the sump, now I'm using a Gen-X PCX-40-1190 GPH this pump is for external use, but I'm not completely satisfied with it because I read that 120g tank pump requires 10 to 15 times the capacity of the tank, I'm saying that the minimum they need is a pump that runs 1200gph to 1800gph. Eheim good brand, pero1260
good watts, but only 1262 635gph and 900gph. Now what would be the pros and cons of using an internal or external pump? I think, internal hot water, external nois y or durability between the two, besides that and I made a hole to my sump put my pump a I have in use and if I buy an external other hole for diferent measure?

is your sump acrylic? if so all you have to do is just patch it with another piece of acrylic using weldon 16.

I don't think you need that much turn over through your sump. you can also mod the 1260 with a 1262 volute and make it flow more water. I haven't done this myself so I don't know 100% if it works but I have read about it.

Brian

I think you should just stick with your pump you have.. I have a 125 with a HUGE sump 60"x18" wide running it's a bout 45 gallons but can hold 80..
I was running a PCX40 for a year and would have kept in on there if it didn't die on me..

+1 more for using the one you have.
3 to 5 times water volume in your system for the return from the sump. 10 to 15 is a waste of watts and especially considering the size sump you have. Save the flow for in the tank.

eheim pumps are great, efficient, pretty much last forever, and are really quiet however they are submersible pumps that are not great if you are pumping a great distance. If your sump is underneath the DT, you're good to go. If you need the space if your sump, don't get it because they're pretty hefty. If you have the space, go for it. You wont regret it. I recommend at least a 1260 for your application. I have a 1060 which was the old model 1260 and it's over 5 years old running STRONG.

BTW

I read that 120g tank pump requires 10 to 15 times the capacity of the tank

10-15 times the gallons of the tank of WATER MOVEMENT. not necessarily flowing through the sump. for example, a korallia 1400 will move approx 1400 GPH of water around your tank. that is considered water movement. Unless you absolutely need to, i would suggest no more than 600 gph flow through your sump for a tank that size including the flow loss through head and travel.

Where did this 5x tank volume through your sump rule come from and why do you all believe in it so devoutly?

Personally, I have a 125g and run about 1200 gph through the display, and another 600 gph through the refugium, both which drain into my sump. I also have a chiller, skimmer and phosban reactor T'd off of it so the flow through my sump after head loss is probably around 2200 gph.

I am running a Reefflow Snapper, but would advise against it if you are very picky about noise. I am kind of a noise freak and although it is quieter then many brands, it is not silent.

I plan to upgrade to a Red Dragon soon.

Hope that helps.

the 3X-5X through the sump isn't really a rule but is meant to match flow rates to filter devices like skimmers and media reactors. Yeah you can pump lots more flow through your sump, but for most setups it's a waste of energy and has 0 benefit really. Same thing for you fuge. Allowing the water to dwell longer allows more contact time with macro algea if your trying to use macros to export nutrients.
In tank flow should come from powerheads and closed loop systems, not your return pump.

Last edited:
Where did this 5x tank volume through your sump rule come from and why do you all believe in it so devoutly?

Personally, I have a 125g and run about 1200 gph through the display, and another 600 gph through the refugium, both which drain into my sump. I also have a chiller, skimmer and phosban reactor T'd off of it so the flow through my sump after head loss is probably around 2200 gph.

I am running a Reefflow Snapper, but would advise against it if you are very picky about noise. I am kind of a noise freak and although it is quieter then many brands, it is not silent.

I plan to upgrade to a Red Dragon soon.

Hope that helps.

The question is why do you feel the need for so much flow threw the sump? None of the devices you listed can use that much water flow or even come close to processing that much flow. Hay if it works for you that’s great, it’s not a rule. Skimmer uses maybe 300gph water if it’s a large one, chiller between 100 and 300gph, phasban reactor maybe 200gph, the chiller may not be needed if you were not running such a big return pump. Even if this is not a water cooled return pump and you have it under the stand in the enclosed area you will still be transferring lots of its heat to the tank. It’s really better to have slower flow threw the greens department if you have on. It will filter out more and clear the water better. This is why most will never use that much water flow threw the sump. It’s just a waste of watts in most cases and increases the heat and noise level and energy consumptions. JMO

None of the devices you listed can use that much water flow or even come close to processing that much flow. Hay if it works for you that’s great, it’s not a rule. Skimmer uses maybe 300gph water if it’s a large one, chiller between 100 and 300gph, phasban reactor maybe 200gph, the chiller may not be needed if you were not running such a big return pump.

The chiller gets about 300gph, which is the minimum for the model I use. The skimmer is a recirculating style and gets as little as possible, I went with ball valves instead of gates so it is not so precise, but I like to skim dry. There is not much going through the phosban reactor either at this point but enough to keep the phosphates at zero.

The refugium is 65g and even with the 600 gph from the return pump going through it, I still have to supplement flow with a tunze. The typical adivice for refugiums is 3-5x the total system volume per hour, so the turnover in my refugium is actually a bit to low, but the drain can not handle more and it is not worth putting in a second drain IMO.

Even if this is not a water cooled return pump and you have it under the stand in the enclosed area you will still be transferring lots of its heat to the tank.

My return pump is not under the tank or in a stand at all, it is open air. I do not think heat transfer is a problem at this point. My chiller actually kicked on maybe 10-15 days this summer, and with the temperate weather where I live, I would not expect it to go back on until June.

There are some advantages to a larger return pump as well. By getting the 1200 gph out of my return and splitting it with a SCWD I was able to not run a closed loop, which saves energy and heat. Another option would have been to use a seaswirl for more random movement, but I never have good luck with those things.

I do think that if you add up all of the pumps people use for you chiller, skimmer, calcium reactor, phosphate reactor, nitrate reactors, closed loops, refugiums, remote DSB's, etc, etc, etc many people might find it is cheaper in the long run to use one central pump both electricity wise and pump cost wise.

The main drawback to running your system on one pump is, well all of your eggs are in one basket so if the thing dies, your in a not so good place unless you have a spare.

JME

Just because I am "new" here, I am not trying to start a fight, just hoping to get someone to consider all of there options. I am glad we can have this conversation so friendly.

So after 3+ years, I am now half way to being able to sell in the classifieds :D

Back