recommendations for Butterflys in Fish only tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Hello Lee,
I want to set up a fish only community tank. I like the yellow butterfly,
Chaeton family. I like the color they add to the tank. My concern is compatibility with other fish and acceptance of foods. They have such tiny mouths, a lot of them mainly thrive on Plankton. What are your thoughts as far as which Butterfly would be easily to acclimate and thrive in a fish only tank.

thanks in Advance,
Ed Hahn:)

Ed,

I would recommend yellow faced pyramid butterfly from Hawaii.

they are reef safe, hardy, and always swimming around the tank. they do better if you get a schoal; I started with 3, but the runt didnt make it..Ive had these 2 for at least one year

If you click on my link under my signature, you will send some pics of them.

hello NC2WA,
I have had pyramid butterflies in my 4ft cube. My other fish out competed them for food. I know they are plankton feeders. I know of a source for frozen rotifers.

I am hoping there are hardy competitive fish that will not shy away with other fish are around.

Below is the Tank I am working on setting up. Mark (skimmerwhisper) set me up with a really nice skimmer. LED lighting is being talked about for lighting. It will most likely happen. Check out the price of this set up? How does 24K sound?

http://www.livingcolor.com/aquariums/discovery-collection

After reading I am considering a Chaetodon semilarvatus. I just would like further help with those experienced with this fish.

thanks in advance,
Ed

Butterflyfishes, Tangs, and Angels are my favs. They actually do go together well because most fishes in each group tend to eat slowly and pick at their food. When you get a Butterflyfish that eats voraciously, that's a keeper!

The Butterflyfishes will do best in communities that are not fast or pushy eaters. Keep them with other lay-back fishes. BUT, have at least one or two other fish in the tank (dither fish) that will come forward and show them they don't have to be afraid at eating time.

They get along pretty well with each other, even those some are competitors. One or two may attempt at the king of the hill position, but you just have to watch out for it. Give them as much space as you can. I like a 125 or 180 as a minimum.

You have begun in the right direction, Ed. You're looking at what they eat. Absolutely don't get any Butterflyfish (or any other) that eats just coral. Coral obligate fishes are just not for the hobby. On the extreme other end of the spectrum, those that are pod eaters can be accommodated easily -- not easy to keep necessarily, just easy to accommodate.

On the list of fishes in this group easy to keep you'll find the Raccoon, Heniochus, Yellow Longnose, Vagabond, Orange, and Auriga. Not all of these individuals will work out well, but most do. In the medium class are some fine fishes: Tear Drop, Copperband, Latticed, Dot-Dash, etc. Avoid those that are usually more difficult if you want an easier time of it. Like don't invite a Saddleback, or Mertensii into the group. These fish are a hit-or-miss, with most of them dying off in the first year of captivity. I would avoid the Tinkers unless you know for a fact at what depth it was collected. It's expensive, but if collected deep, not worth trying to 'trap' in an aquarium. One collected in shallow reef waters is good. They are in the easy to medium class. This goes for many of these fishes. Those collected deep usually don't do well in captivity.

Make sure you quarantine them first and train them to eat properly. Offer the best foods! Put in with proper tank mates. Keep water quality high AND steady, and all should be fine. It's important to see the fish eating before you acquire it.

Hopes this helps some.

Last edited:
Butterflyfishes, Tangs, and Angels are my favs. They actually do go together well because most fishes in each group tend to eat slowly and pick at their food. When you get a Butterflyfish that eats voraciously, that's a keeper!

The Butterflyfishes will do best in communities that are not fast or pushy eaters. Keep them with other lay-back fishes. BUT, have at least one or two other fish in the tank (dither fish) that will come forward and show them they don't have to be afraid at eating time.

They get along pretty well with each other, even those some are competitors. One or two may attempt at the king of the hill position, but you just have to watch out for it. Give them as much space as you can. I like a 125 or 180 as a minimum.

You have begun in the right direction, Ed. You're looking at what they eat. Absolutely don't get any Butterflyfish (or any other) that eats just coral. Coral obligate fishes are just not for the hobby. On the extreme other end of the spectrum, those that are pod eaters can be accommodated easily -- not easy to keep necessarily, just easy to accommodate.

On the list of fishes in this group easy to keep you'll find the Raccoon, Heniochus, Yellow Longnose, Vagabond, Orange, and Auriga. Not all of these individuals will work out well, but most do. In the medium class are some fine fishes: Tear Drop, Copperband, Latticed, Dot-Dash, etc. Avoid those that are usually more difficult if you want an easier time of it. Like don't invite a Saddleback, or Mertensii into the group. These fish are a hit-or-miss, with most of them dying off in the first year of captivity. I would avoid the Tinkers unless you know for a fact at what depth it was collected. It's expensive, but if collected deep, not worth trying to 'trap' in an aquarium. One collected in shallow reef waters is good. They are in the easy to medium class. This goes for many of these fishes. Those collected deep usually don't do well in captivity.

Make sure you quarantine them first and train them to eat properly. Offer the best foods! Put in with proper tank mates. Keep water quality high AND steady, and all should be fine. It's important to see the fish eating before you acquire it.

Hopes this helps some.

Definitely,
I will be picky and inspect fish well before purchasing. thank you,
Ed:)

Many of the large Angels are mellow by nature and do well in a community tank -- even with other (different) large Angels. Their space requirement is what prevents most hobbyists from enjoying these fishes. As young adults they need a 180, scaling up to about a 500 gallon tank when they become old.

The Annularis, Blue Line, and Emperor are all fine community tank choices. However, which one to choose is certainly a personal choice.

:)

Should be fine, although they are better obtained in the juv stage and 'raised' to their adult. When done like this, their disposition is great.

That is the plan. Thank you very much for sharing your experience so I prevent losses.

Ed (smile)

Back