Recommended Return Pump ??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bjonesjr1

Hey all, I currently have a 75 gallon tank with a LifeReef sump/skimmer underneath & a LifeReef overflow that I bought used a week ago, the overflow flows 600GPH down into the sump, & then their is a mag-9.5 running the skimmer that sits in the sump. As far as a return pump, I wanted people's opinion on what to get, something that won't give off to much heat or use alot of watts... I was thinking about a eheim 1262 for a return pump, but I think that may be a bit much... I'm not sure, I was just trying to match what normally goes with the LifeReef system for a return pump, which would be a mag-9.5 as well.

I do have 4' 6" to pump up so that may play a factor as far as a size in the pump, but I'm trying to figure this out so that I can get my sump/skimmer running and working properly !!!

Thanks for all the help & opinions

Bobby

Mag pumps use less wattage that other styles of pumps, are submersible, and are relatively inexpensive. They add a significant amount of heat to the water when submerged, dont handle head pressure well at all, and require oversized plumbing in order to get the most flow from them. The savings you get in pump cost can quickly be spent on cooling the tank, and/or oversized plumbing parts....

I've used Mag pumps in the past on my tanks, and now they are relegated to my water change barrels...

If its a choice between the Eheim and the Mag pump, go with the Eheim. Just realize its has similar limitations, (temp when submersed and head pressure issues), but at a lesser degree than the Mag pumps.

Some good suggestions for external pumps are Iwaki, Panworld, and Reeflo. Iwaki was the gold standard a few years ago. The chief engineer left and started Panworld. The performance between the two pumps is very similar, but the Panworlds are less expensive.

I would suggest sizing your pump to move anywhere from 4-10 times your total system volume per hour. More than that and it starts to sound like a toilet flushing 24-7.

HTH,

Nick

Thanks for the info maxx... Greatly Appreciated !!! I went to my LFS today & purchased a Eheim 1262 to go into my sump... I'm planning on maybe changing the mag-9.5 that runs the skimmer alittle later with another Eheim, because of the noise & heat that thing gives off. But that will be done alittle later, I'm looking into a ReefKeeper 2 right now to control my lights, & temp right now, but might wait tell the Elite comes out... who knows ??? But thanks again for the input.

Bobby

Glad to have helped. I would suggest cleaning the Mag 9 off and keeping it in reserve in case the Eheim ever goes down....I'm a big believer having a back up plan.

Nick

I like external pumps. I myself like Dolphin 2100s or Reeflo snappers. I like to use as low energy consumption as possible.

Tunze is coming out with a new line of return pumps.

OceanRunner 2500 cheaper and more efficient than the Eheim.

IMO buying an oversized pump and then throttling it down kinda defeats the purpose of efficiency and heat.

Also just so you know, you don't NEED to push that much through the sump for that 75g tank. That 600gph is a lot of throughput through the sump for such that size of tank and may cause some micro bubbles.

I run 2 Maxijet 900 powerheads as returns for my 125g tank. Of course my DIY corner overflows only handle about 275gph max each so 2 MJ900's were perfect.

Last edited:
Hey D, good to see you again.

Whats the reliablility like on the Ocean Runners? I've never used one and I havent heard much about them.

Nick

They're pretty good. I have one and it's been running for years without a problem. Eheims are great too but they're much more expensive and uses more power than the OR pumps.

Back