Red bristle worms, should I be concerned

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

realranger

I have a 125 reef tank. The population of red bristle worms has increased dramatically. It is a bit disgusting when I shine a light after the tank has been dard for a couple hours. There are probably hundreds in the live rock. Should I be concerned? Is there a practical treatment. As I mentioned in a different forum here, I am changing out my tank to a 180, due to an aquarium fire. Is there a treatment that I could do as I am moving everything out? I will not be transferring the crushed coral to the new tank. It has been recommended that I use a one inch layer of argonite sand, which I intend to do.,

My thought is always "better them than whatever it is they're eating" - of course, on those grounds I let spiders live in my house, so I may not be entirely sane ;)

Bristle worms are very beneficial to our reef tanks. In fact, a lot of people consider them the best clean up critter. However, they aren't beneficial to us people, so don't touch them. Population will increase with excess feeding. There are also fish that will help keep the population down, by eating them. If the population gets too out of control, there are traps you can purchase or make. One easy trap to make is to use a pair of nylons. Cut a small piece of nylon square. Wrap this square around a frozen prawn or shrimp. Tie a piece of fishing string to it, a few feet long. Drop it in the tank at night. In the morning, pull it out. The Bristle Worms will squeeze in to feed on the bait.

i have them all in my rocks as well, some huge ones. i have heard they are beneficial, but man are they ugly. I use my tweezer to grab a few of the bigger ones out when i can, but not too concerned as they are supposively good as part of a CUC>

I have a 125 reef tank. The population of red bristle worms has increased dramatically. It is a bit disgusting when I shine a light after the tank has been dard for a couple hours. There are probably hundreds in the live rock. Should I be concerned? Is there a practical treatment. As I mentioned in a different forum here, I am changing out my tank to a 180, due to an aquarium fire. Is there a treatment that I could do as I am moving everything out? I will not be transferring the crushed coral to the new tank. It has been recommended that I use a one inch layer of argonite sand, which I intend to do.,

I had 100 or 1000s in my main, got a spider crab and now I see very little in the main. But I still have tons in my sump/refugium, spider crab keeps them in check in the main tank, he never bothers any corals, and I have a mixed reef

Back