Red Brush Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tike

So i went on vacation and when I returned my yellow tank had died:(. Now this week i am getting a profusion of what I call red brush/beard algae. Does anything eat this stuff/ thanks!

DSC_0391.jpg

i'm not to sure dood but i believe tangs eat that stuff :p .
sorry to hear about your tang :(, he was very cute .

I have that same stuff. My 2 clowns are nipping at it all the time, but not consuming it to the degree of wiping it out.

Only 2 replies ?? Come on RF help a follow reefer out?:):):)

You know I luz ya!:D

I have seen an emerald pick at looser green algae but I think it's a toss up.

Some crabs will eat this but then those same crabs could endanger your corals and or small fish so----

The best compromise I know of is either a sally light foot or emerald crabs but that may vary a bit from one to another.

It's like trying to buy a pretty in-expensive angel fish for a mixed reef. Your choices are usually not the most colorfull pygmy's or take your chances with ones that very well may turn around and start nipping corals.

So Manual removal is your best/and safest bet !!

This could also be the begining of a thicker mat that eventually covers the rock and can only be removed with a knife :-0

I have had this and only better skimming more phosphate remover and less feeding helped ( My skimmer sucks--did I mention my skimmer sucks)

:)

Paul

Last edited:
I love kole tangs! But i only have a 60 gallon tank and 30 gallon sump.:cry:

Anywho i am about to switch over to a 60 gallon cube so maybe i can do a little rock scrubbing also.

Turbos more often than not ignore the tough red for the more tasty green.
The best luck I ever had was to swap out the infested rock and put the red hair algae rock into a dark sump or "re-cook" it in total darkness for a few months.
Hungry emerald crabs and urchins will slowly graze through it

That appears to be Asparagopsis vs Anothrichium. Is it soft and feathery or is it hard and spikey? If the former, Mexican turbo snails will go to town on it. If the latter, cook the rock.

Last edited:
Back