Red Cyano?? (Asparagopsis)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rocket

Tahoma
I have this stuff blooming like crazy now in my tank. I just tested the water for the first time with Salifert test kits and posted the results here.

I saw on a previous post by mattseatlle that "*true* Mexican turbo snails will eat it." Is that what I should do, get some Mexican turbo snails? Or does my water need some work? This stuff is EVERYWHERE! It even grows on my snail's shells, like in the second pic. (the snail is in the center)
Thanks fro your suggestions,
Nate

Hi Rocket,

I wouldn't bother with the snails. You have some phosphate/silicate water issues that need resolving or you'll just be putting a bandaid on a amputation so to speak.

You have another problem I noticed in the picture as well. Bubble algae. That can totally take over a tank.

I personally had the same exact problem years ago and got phosbate sponge by Kent marine and that worked very well after a couple weeks being very reslient.

I also after about week 2 took out all the rocks and scrubbed them down of all algae issues and then rinsed VERY well with RO water and then put back in the tank. Just make sure you do not pop one of the bubble algae in the tank as this will cause hundreds more to pop up. TRUST me that is the bigger problem sorry to say. The other can go away faster.

I wish ya luck and we've all been there...
Alison

I thought my phosphates were good at 0.01, is that not good?
And yes those stinking bubbles are driving me nuts to, they keep blocking the powerhead intakes and I keep sucking them out.
So how did you use the "phosbate sponge"? Did you use bags?

Man thats no cyano nate,Thats some type of plant life more like a macroalgae,Chlorodesmis but red try the turbo's or if not a yellow tang.:idea:

Last edited:
agreeed, doesnt look like cyno to me....

this was my cyno months back. yours isnt very red

ah.... i cant find the pic i must have removed it....
ok this is the closet good shot i can find.
Picture3000300-1.jpg

it blankets things, and blows or waves in the wind.. eazy removed but will reapear quickly

I thought my phosphates were good at 0.01, is that not good?

Our hobbiest test kits are not all that accurate. Not only that, they don't measure total phosphates, they only measure water orthophosphates. ANY time that you can get a reading for phosphates with a hobbiest test kit, you have too much.

Ya I totally agree with Burning2nd that it's not the right classification on the red stuff, but it is an algae, and I've had it whatever it's called and it's a pain I know.

The phosphate sponge by Kent worked great but you can only really use it once. Don't try to use it again, as it doesn't really seem to work twice like they say. I am going to start using a phosphate reactor 150 and use phosban in it like the pros here told me to do as I have a little hairline popping up in my new setup as expected. I would try that as it's a good longterm resolution, but I would start with the sponge by kent for now. I put the sponge stuff in a nylon sock and kinda rubber banded it near my outtake or outflow and that did the trick. Took about 3 weeks and COMPLETELY cleared my tank of all hairline and the red stuff you have.

Your stats are not great on phosphates and silicates if you have any, so your test is not acurate.

Good luck with it, and let me know how it goes...
Ali:)

If you have zooxanthellate inverts, do not use Kent's PO4 sponge, it's aluminum based. Get a granular ferrous oxide (GFO) based product instead. Aluminum based products can cause bleaching in corals/clams etc.

The algae you have is a red hair variety. Zebra turbos (like <<here>>) will help to some degree but siphoning this stuff out is very easy and your best bet, do not rely on snails or crabs. As the alga dies/renews itself it frees up trapped phosphorus for new alga/bacteria to utilize. Removal is by far the most efficient long lasting solution. This alga is also very brittle and spreads very easily. Use a siphon hose when removing it. Do not break off by hand.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/nftt/index.php

Thanks for the info steve. I have been siphoning the algae out with every water change, even shutting the powersheads off and scrubbing the rock while siphoning. That works for a week or so, but it grows back in force in time for the next water change. So maybe a combination of a few turbo snails and siphoning minus the scrubbing will help without speading it.
I was looking into one of those little fishies phosban reactors, so would that help? Or is that wrong media to use?

I was looking into one of those little fishies phosban reactors, so would that help? Or is that wrong media to use?
That type of media is exactly what you need. The set up of the reactor is optimum for this type of product since water must flow through it to work properly. Unless you can reduce the amount of organic (through heavy skimming/water changes) and inorganic (via the GFO) forms of phosphate, siphoning and snails will only compete with it, not beat it. There are many brands of GFO media so you do not need to kill yourself finding the Phosban name. There are a few brands out there and most seem to do a good job.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.php

Don't be fooled by your test kit readings either. Common reef hobbyist kits only read inorganic forms of phosphate. They cannot account for the organic forms.

Ok, I will try to find some snails in the mean time while I get a reactor. Thanks again for the advice!

Be specific on which snails you choose and I would only buy one or two at first. As I said, the Zebra Turbo is the only one I ever found that would even touch's it, none have ever beaten it. Be sure the one(s) you get are going to be effective before spending too much money. They are also a cooler temperate snail so may not live as long if you keep temps 80°+.

So Steve, what can I do about the green bubble algae? Ive seen that some crabs eat it....

Hi Rocket,

Ya steve has some good advice. He helped me out with my Phosphate reactor questions on what to replace the media with. I don't know if I should go with Warner Marine's phosar, Rowphos or Phosban now though. Rowphos sounds pricey.

Good luck.
Ali

Emerald crabs I think? I bought everything under the sun people perscribed to eat that crap but nothing seemed to like it. Basically I found getting your stats under control and scrubbing away was the best trick, but that's just what worked for me years ago...
Good luck,
Ali:)

Thanks for the tips Ali. Its nice to hear from someone who has been through the same problems.

So Steve, what can I do about the green bubble algae? Ive seen that some crabs eat it....
No crabs, same method as the red algae. It's a bit of a chore but will make a huge difference in beating it. Crabs will do more to spread it that eliminate it. Valonia sp. become sexually mature and can spore once about a ¼" or more in diameter. As soon as they are popped, they spread. Siphoning removes the algae and the spores.

I myself had bubble algae, man what a pain!!! What worked for me as mentioned above is siphon them off without breaking, taking the rock out and scrubbing and rinsing in ro water. Emerald crabs were a waste of money for me. Never once seen them go after it. The best tank inhabitant for me was a foxface. He ate it. But in the end he just helps control it. Other than that cleaning it off the rock was the best method. Perimeters, P04, N03 ect is not the cause. I've read several articles on valonia, there are several different types. There not sure of cause or remedy.

Good luck and don't break the bubbles....:)

Back