Red Hair Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

forsaken541

I have Red stringy algae that refuses to stop growing on my sand bed. It also will move up the glass as well. What if anything will munch this stuff or what can I do?
Thanks,
Erik

Usually a sign of high organics in the system. Have you done a gravel vacuum? Are you running a Deep sand bed? And do you have plenty of flow down low near the bottom?

Yeah I agree with what has been said...I cut back on feeding, increased water flow to areas and use a turkey baster to get some out and finally it went away.:)

Erik - any chance of posting a picture? I have red hair algae right now, but my tank is going through its swamp phase (just cycled and has very high nutrients), and it is located on my rocks. It looks exactly like hair algae except it is red. How old is your system?

Another thing you can do is test for the presence of phosphates. Take a water sample from the water column, then take a sample about 1/2 inch down in the sand where the algae is growing. This will help determine if your phosphate source is from the sand bed. If you have any growing on the live rock you can also take a sample from the rocks.

Back