Red Open Brain Coral Troubles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TnTrouble

Hi All!

New to this website, so I thank you in advance if I say/do something very silly!

My husband and I run a 14 gal reef tank with various assorted corals. A few weeks ago we put in a red open brain coral who has subsequently started fading around the edges. Over the past few days, I have not seen him eating as much, and I'm now getting worried.

Tank params are all normal. All of our other corals are absolutely fine and eating well.
We use a 14 gal Coralife BioCube, with 24 Watt 10000K daylight, 24 watt 420 Nm Actinic, and Lunar blue and Cool White LED bars.

Best!
TnTrouble

P.S. Photograph is in the fourth post :)

Last edited:
Also, apparently to post a link to my photograph, I have to have posted three times. Here's the second...

Yeah, looks like it is receding. I think it needs more light. I would pull it out and set it in the sand but not in a heavy flow area. I have an open brain and it is high up in the tank under T5s. I have noticed that mine did not like being close to the rock. The base was okay, but the top of the skeleton did not like being close to anything. It would recede. They are a sand dwelling coral so I'd pull it out from the rock.

Back