red spots on yellowtang!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

porksoda

Nano-Reefer
ok i rearanged my rocks like 2 days ago and i looked in my tank today and my yellow tang has a red spot on its top fin and it has a red blemish by its back fin. Does anyone know what it might be? Please dont say ick. or do u think it might have bumped in to the new arrangement of the rocks? Thanks ill try to get pics.

Ok this is not my fish but i shaded it red where it is on my tang.
4kf450g.jpg

Its not ich that would be white. I am not sure, but with other fish I had (koi) they would get red streaks on the fins and body from stress. It would go away.

Looks like somebody was playing with lipstick;)

Fish occasionally scrape or bruise themselves. If the fish and tank is otherwise healthy, should clear up really soon. If the scrape becomes infected, at that point we can worry about the best treatment. For now, keep the water pure and the fish well fed and stress free.

I would keep a close eye on the fish. Ich will cause fish to scratch against rocks which will cause red irritated areas. It is possible that the ich is just not showing yet.

The following is from Lee’s sticky on Marine ich, the entire write up can be found at:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27003

“2. Only time a human can see this parasite with the naked eye is when it is ‘pregnant’ on the fish and has formed a white nodule. (The white spot is about the size of a grain of table salt or sugar).

3. Parasites that have just burrowed into the fish are not visible until 2.”

porksoda - what are your water parameters like? How often are you performing water changes? How long have you had the tang? What is the tang eating?

Nikki is closer to the truth.

Those red marks are (not lipstick) but signs of water quality 'burns.' The rearrangement of rock can stir up a lot of 'settled' debris which can toss the water quality into flux.

Perform an immediate large (50%+) water change. Before you do/as the water is mixing, check ALL water chemistries. You're first and foremost dealing with a water quality issue which is causing this condition.

This condition worsens until bacteria set in and then infect the fish, (usually) systemically. I would have antibiotics and a hospital tank standing by while you work on the water quality.

Continue large water changes for 3 consecutive days. Clean up the aquarium of all seen detritus, uneaten foods, organic wastes, etc. Make sure your skimmer and any organic absorbent (e.g., activated carbon) is working up to their max.

:)

Back