Reef Chili ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I currently use it. Kinda like an all in one. What the corals dont eat the fish do.
This is the only thing I feed my corals (target feed) that feed off of the water column. Also some of my rics love it too ;)

Todd

I have a VERY serious concern for the accuracy if not honesty of such patently false claims like:

"I have included three of the key ingredients in the
new Reef Chili, Bio-engineered Zooplankton,
Phytoplankton and a Artemia nauplii replacement diet.
Between these three ingredients the nutritional
needs of every filter feeder in your tank are met."

Every(!) filter feeder? Pshaw! It would be a miracle to even be able to satisfy a majority.

Filter feeding how? By absorption... organismally? What of the phyto eaters? Or... the filter feeders that eat bacteria, floc, mucus, colloids? How about the majority of filter-feeders for which we don't know exactly what they eat?

Or the ones that have poorly developed digestive systems and filter feed by means other than organismal capture?

Then there is the HUGE issue of filter feeders being very discriminating about particle and prey size, shape and texture.

Sigh... disappointing. Very disappointing to see such advertising for what may very well be a fine product for some corals.

Oooh, the quote below is especially precious. I'm really looking forward to reading Mojo's thoughts on this one:

-----------

Reef Chili is beneficial to all corals. All size polyps will
be feed [sic]. I have included sizes from 2 microns all the
way to 900. There is Absolutely no reason to add any
other products to feed your corals

-----------

I used the old stuff when he was still shipping frozen weight... WE had a club buy on it down here... In all honestly It was very Expensive for what you got at that time...

yeah the fish loved it and the feeding responses from the corals was great but the price vs quantity was just a bit too much... I used what I got and just continued my normal habit of making my own as well as using flake and Formula 1, 2 frozen...

James

Interesting....Anthony i agree with you I still don't know what Acro's eat i assume plankton? I feed my corals DT's Plankton & DT's oyster eggs as far as my LPS I hand feed chopped squid . So far so good (2yrs) always looking to improve . It may be a fine product but thats like an all in one additive I don't believe in those either . And plenty of company's make those claims . Keep the feed back coming guys & gals .

I always have to laugh when I see company trying to make that claim. Anything to make a buck these days. I know especially in this hobby that a person can really get ripped off if not carefull. I have learned that the hard way but now I watch what I do and do alot of research on everything.

do be careful not to confuse a bona-fide feeding response with irritation or polyp extension from the strategically sneaky sugar that some snake oil products slip in to make you think the product works great ;)

A tablespoon of sugar in the tank will have the same affect :p Costs less too :D

Anthony Calfo said:
do be careful not to confuse a bona-fide feeding response with irritation or polyp extension from the strategically sneaky sugar that some snake oil products slip in to make you think the product works great ;)

A tablespoon of sugar in the tank will have the same affect :p Costs less too :D

How does one tell the difference between irritation or a sugar response and a good feeding response? What should be be looking for?

also, couldn't help but notice a lot of algae in the photos on the advertising site...a little bit of phosphate in that food maybe? :lol:

MikeS

for one thing... corals that are irritated slough the mucus they generate, while corals "enjoying" the matter will consumer their mucous (its a deliberate strategy of course to produce mucous that traps matter/food... then consume the trapped matter by eating the mucus.

I guess I can only wonder - this sure seems a lot like making your own tank-food.

Can't we all just get some cyclops-eeze, some various other sized foods, and create our own foods that's about the same exact thing? Sure seems it to me ....

[every filter feeder ... :D Funny how they know the exact amount and types of food for the filter feeders in my tanks, despite what they are [or the quantity I have]].

middlemark said:
Can't we all just get some cyclops-eeze, some various other sized foods, and create our own foods that's about the same exact thing? Sure seems it to me ..

Yep I agree with ya mark. Also alot cheeper to just do it yourself and that way you know what all is in the mix.

Back