reef compatible fish/star polyp update.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

newbeeMike

I have a yellow tang and a clown fish in my tank. I want to add maybe one or two more fish in my reef tank. I was wanting some suggestions on nice coral compatible fish. I go to the LPS and all they want to see me are uninteresting small fish. Oh the green star polyps finally came out today. They look great. thanks for the advice

How big is your tank? What type of lighting? What is the meaning of life? Just kidding , tried to slip that one in!

Sixline wrasse are amazing fish. Intricate eye movement like a lizard. They can be shy at first, but once established they will spend more time in the open. They like to swim in and out of the rock work too, which is fun to watch. The other two fish you have mainly stay in the main water column so this fishes characteristics would be different form what you have.

A royal gramma is quite colorful and a hardy fish. Inexpensive. They love to hangout on a slope of rock.

Depending on what size tank you have a school of green chromis would be nice. They do best in schools of 6 or more.

I like six line wrasses they are just really cute.
Mine can be territorial sometimes and he loves stealing food from my clown but other than that he's kewl .... ohh yeah and he loves chasin my yellow tail damsel :p.

I think the question would be more like what kind of fishes do you wanna keep?
and what size is your tank? :) .

What is the meaning of life?

LOL!!! :lol:

what about cleaner shrimp-i like the blood or fire shrimp, and also a shrimp goby with its commensal shrimp? they are colorful and VERY interesting to watch.

Shrimp and goby buddies are really cool. Royal Grammas are very fun to watch as well, lots of upside down action. Midas blennys have a ton of personality and always seem to be busy with something, as do engineering blennys (though they can undermine rocks and dig like crazy). Coral banded shrimp can also be fun to watch.

Six lines are great to watch, but I personally dont like how effectively they devour macroplankton and other pods and things that have an important roll in the tank as detritus consumers. IMO, they hit the pod population about as hard as having 10 manderians in the tank, which I belive shifts the eco system towards a less healthy and higher maintence state. Just my $0.02

Like fishhead asked, what size is your tank? That will determine what you can go with at this point... I have a 75gal with 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang and a small wrasse and I may add one more in there like a royal gramma. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to overstock, but I've seen people add quite a few fish in smaller tanks without any problems. However, knowing your tank size will help determine better what will go in there comfortably:)

Back