Reef Frontiers - thank you!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

muss60

Just discovered this forum - I'm so impressed with all the help and support especially under the New to Reefkeeping forum; no question is a stupid question it seems, and that's just the kind of support we need! Expect to hear from me from now on........

ps While doing a water change today, we discovered a worm-like thing (it looked like the sand at the bottom of the tank all strung on a string); when hubby went to pull it out, he got stung by it! It was about an inch and a half long. Any idea what that was? Haven't been able to find an ID for it yet.

Welcome, with that said, if you could snap a pic, it's easier for us to take a wild stab at the ID. If not be as descriptive as possible. There is a type of tubular worm that encrusts itself with substrate, normally harmless and beneficial to our tanks. If he got stung it sounds like a bristle worm. Did it have any long tentacles? And once again welcome. Mike.

Welcome to RF!!! A pic would be great eventhough I'm not all that good with ID's:p Hope you get sorted out really soon with an ID:)

Unfortunately, I can't take a picture anymore, we ditched it (and I have thing about garbage picking)..... it does sound like it was a bristle worm though; happy he's gone. Will post a picture of the tank soon, my digital camera isn't the greatest, but will do my best.

Thanks again.

Welcome to RF :D Glad to have you about.

On that note. I must ask that you take great caution when handleing worms in your tank. I am going to dig up a few links and photo's of the mistakes made by doing so. Some bristle worms look alike and some can cause serious pain.

Also, you might want to where glove when handleing stuff in your tank. Not just to protect you. But, to help protect your livestock. Might save you a few bucks :)

I hope you are not taking this as ragging on you, I am just trying to help.

I agree that the help and feedback on this site for new people to the hobby is impressive.

As for the worm, I'd say it was a bristle. My friend has been stung by these a few times, they look similair to jellyfish stings IMO. But there are others here that can help you better than mwa.

Detri, thank you and not to worry, not taking it as ragging on me at all - in fact, I appreciate the warning; will check out those sites you posted; thanks again!

Back