Reef Lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fish-Face

I just bought a 500 watt power compact flourescent lighting system for my reef tank. It has in the middle 2 screw in bulbs that are "grow lights" from an indoor garden place. They have a yellowish hugh to them & even though I have 2 blue & whites on each side of it it is still a really ugly color in my tank. The screw in for them is the same as for a hallide bulb although I do not think I can actually plug a hallide into it... I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what I am talking about & can suggest 2 good bulbs for this type of fixture that I can plug right in without having to adjust anything & get better color in my tank. I can post pics tonight if it will help...

CPF bulbs dont screw in they are usaully either

straight pin . . . . or

Square pin

. .
. .

Well, there are compact fluorescent bulbs that have a mogel base and screw in. However, these aren't meant for our reef tanks. They're meant to replace incadescent bulbs, in our homes, and run more efficiently. Unfortunately, they aren't going to offer the color spectrum you need. A lot of these type bulbs are rated at the wattage that they replace. For instance, if a 13 watt bulb replaces a 65 watt, it's rated for 65 watts. Because of this, I'd do some research, to make sure that your fixture is a 500 watt fixture. It'd take a heck of a lot of PC bulbs, to make 500 watts.

It was originally from a Indoor Garden Store then I bought it from the Indoor Reef store in Tacoma. It has 2 straight pin white/blue lights on either side of the hood (the hood is 36 inches I think & has a built in fan) then there are two screw in sockets in the middle with to HUGE bulbs that are "grow" bulbs. There is a total of 500 watts in the hood. I have been going to Indoor reef for a long time & know that the lights work for my reef, in just a short time I have more life than I did with my 200 watt rig. The only problem now is the color. I do not like it, it is too yellow. It is not yellow like someone would really notice bu I do because I see alot of reef set ups & know what I want mine to look like. Here is a picture of what the light looks like. Under the hood is 2 white blue straight pin 96 watt CF lights & these 2 bulbs. View attachment 35608
Please let me know what you think... & thanks for any help!

You are right, there are 6000 & I really wanted 10000 but there are 2 of them & they are making things grow & spread like crazy in my tank, I just want better color... do you think I can plug in 1 or 2 150 or 175 watt metal hallide lights in the sockets? Is there anyone who can help me turn this fixture into something that will hold hallides??? I am still a baby reefer-girl... can use help!

You will not be able to plug any light, other than incadescent or the PC bulbs in. MH bulbs need special ballasts to run.

I hate to say it, but unfortunately, your LFS sold you a fixture that really isn't designed for reef tanks, and can't really be adapted to reef tanks easily. A LFS has no business selling these kinds of fixtures, just because they get them dirt cheap, from nursery suppliers.

Also, keep in mind, since those bulbs are actually meant for growing plants, they're going to do so in your aquarium as well, in the form of algae. They're the perfect Kelvin range for algae growth.

Great... :( What to do now??? Well I guess I can take it back. I feel really stupid... I do not want algae... had enough of that to deal with in the beginning... I have had it on for 8 hours/day for 10 days now & my sand is still nice & white but who knows what will happen in the next 10 days... thanks for all your help... anyone want a nice light for growing herbs??? he he he... :badgrin:

Well, it does take more than the right spectrum of light to grow algae. As long as you keep your nutrients down, the lights won't grow algae. BUT, if you start having an algae issue, those lights will sure help it get worse. I'd personally, take it back to the LFS, tell them they sold you something that isn't even intended for a reef tank, and find a different LFS. Maybe finding a different LFS is a lil' extreme...but, they did sell you a greenhouse grow light, not a reef light.

I dont think i got it from Indoor reef i think he got it from Indoor graden witch is right on the other side.One is a fish store one is a plant store.I have gone have gone in there from time to time but never got anything. when there is a fish store right on the other side i would think would have what i needed

I think his brother owns the Garden Store. I think that is where he got it from & then he added the blue/white lights and sold it to me. I like it except for the color in my tank. Everything seems to be doing great under it though & have even gotten bigger in the last 11 days... I think I will wait & see & in the mean time start saving for a Hallide set up...

Great... :( What to do now??? Well I guess I can take it back. I feel really stupid... I do not want algae... had enough of that to deal with in the beginning... I have had it on for 8 hours/day for 10 days now & my sand is still nice & white but who knows what will happen in the next 10 days... thanks for all your help... anyone want a nice light for growing herbs??? he he he... :badgrin:

If you bought it new then the store should take it back without any problems.Tell them you are going to post about their great/or not so great customer service on Reef Frontiers depending on what they decide :badgrin: :badgrin:

Back