REEF NOOB NEEDS ADVICE on Custom All-in-one tank design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

w4ngsta

Hello All,

This is my debut post. I am a first time tank owner and have already fallen in love with the hobby. I've designed a custom prototype acrylic all-in-one aquarium which I will have fabricated. I used a free 3D modeling program from google called sketchup. I'm looking for advice from who ever is willing to give it. Please watch the youtube video and let me know what you think. Will it work? Can any improvements be made? etc.

Youtube video name: "
Custom 60 Gallon Acrylic All-in-One Saltwater Reef Tank by Josh Wang"
(you can also search this in google to download the sketchup design file)

Thanks!

-Josh

Greetings Josh and welcome to RF and to the hobby. Your attention to detail and research and planning skills are quite impressive. You have quite an interesting design. Traditional logic in the hobby will say that you cannot successfully keep two mandarins in a newly established tank of only 60 gallons. I am sure you are aware of this seeing as you have done your research. I am sure you will get mixed feedback on this, but in my humble opinion you would need at least 125 gallon tank and a lot of live rock to support the pod population necessary. That being said, if anyone was going to successfully keep 2 mandarins in a new 60 gallon tank, I would put my money on you.
I am curious as to why you are mixing brands on your wave-makers, why not 2 MP10s or 2 Tunze?

I will be following along your build, it looks interesting. Have you picked a builder for your tank? We have several sponsors who make great tanks, Jason at CFI and OBD.

Again, welcome to the hobby and good luck.
Ichthys

Hi Ichthys,

Thank you for responding to my request for help. I've heard it was a challenge to keep 2 mandarin fish but not an impossibility. I'll try to prove them wrong...although hopefully not at the expense of the fish. Thanks for the encouragement tho! To answer your question; ideally i would like 2 mp10s but the other side of the display area has an overflow box and no dry side. Also i kindof like the Tunze powerhead hidden in a rock idea. That was the best place i could think of putting it to prevent any copepods from getting sucked into it and chopped up. Thanks for the advice about the live rock. I just purchased 30 LBS of pukani dry rock and 20 lbs of reef saver dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply. I plan to cure and cycle them with some live rock for a month or so while the tank is being fabricated. I like that dry rock because it looked pretty poreous.

Speaking of fabrication, Ive actually been in contact with Jason at CFI as well as a few other fabricators i've gotten quotes from. I hope he responds back to me with a competative quote because i've had a chance to see his shop and like his customer service, build quality and work ethic.

I havent heard of OBD, where can I get a hold of them?

Thanks again,

-Josh

NC2WA,

Oh! Oceans By Design...shoulda known that. I've already talked to Eric. Turns out the Acrylic tank maker he outsources to is Jason at CFI. He's a really good guy tho. He showed me sketch up and gave me a ton of good input for putting together this prototype.

Thanks again for the tip!

Welcome to RF and good luck with your new project:) Research is the key to success in this hobby along with taking your time and respect what you have learned.

Spinner,

Thanks for the welcome! I've been researching on average about 6-8 hours a day every day after work for the last month and loving every minute of it. I feel like im addicted and I dont have a single fish yet! I know this tank is going to be another month or so to get the tank fabricated and rocks cured/cycled so I made my fluval spec 5 into a salt water tank in my office over the weekend just to curb my addiction for the time being. Its cycling right now with some live rock. I know people say not to start off with a nano tank but i JUST COULDNT WAIT ANY MORE!

i hope the salt water gods have mercy on me for my impatience! lol...

-Josh

Back