Reef Octopus BH-1000?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Is lil Miz 26 gonna get skimmed or what!? Yuppers it arrived today. Now assembled and sitting on the tank. Now I have to make some fresh SW just to fill it as this beast would surely drain my tank-lol.
I'll keep everyone updated once she's running. Hope it's not to big!?
4e9yjy4u.jpg

2yba4y8y.jpg

ubuta3ez.jpg

uzebesed.jpg

6y3a4aba.jpg

pu8u9epu.jpg

ymu6uhu4.jpg

i have the BH 100 and love it..the only thing I dont like about it is the pump is in the tank instead of being on the outside.

othwerwise, great skimmer.

Finally someone who's actually running one!! Lol Any pointers on how to fix the intake cup so it actually surface skims? Besides lowering my water level. I've already shortened the adapter and the cup is as high as it will go. Still to much of the vents sit below the surface.
peba4uzy.jpg

Finally someone who's actually running one!! Lol Any pointers on how to fix the intake cup so it actually surface skims? Besides lowering my water level. I've already shortened the adapter and the cup is as high as it will go. Still to much of the vents sit below the surface.
peba4uzy.jpg

That was the first thing I took off and threw it away. Then I cut some of the length off the intake tube. I made this overflow weir for the skimmer intake to sit in

110_2537.jpg

110_2538.jpg

110_2539.jpg

110_2540.jpg

WOW! Don't think I'll be going that route...but you've done an excellent job on that weir for sure. :clap2:

It's actually doing a good job on skimming the surface, must have just needed a lil more time. Could you tell me what that small drain holes is actually for? Seems to be taking away from the foaming action. You see it in this video, draining directly into the return. LMK please.
Reef Octopus BH-1000 - YouTube

Last edited:
i havent the foggiest reason why a manufacturer would put a small hole there draining the bubbles from the reaction chamber into the return..
makes utterly no sense to me... i would cover that hole..

if thats some sort of overflow protection, then hats off to the retard who though up that method... FAIL!

Last edited:
i havent the foggiest reason why a manufacturer would put a small hole there draining the bubbles from the reaction chamber into the return..
makes utterly no sense to me... i would cover that hole..

if thats some sort of overflow protection, then hats off to the retard who though up that method... FAIL!

ROFLMAO!!! Epic fail!!!

Maybe thats for when you remove the collection cup, it can just drain till the cups replaced so it dosn't over flow foam when cleaning the cup out. Just what I would think it's for, maybe not a fail.

Even with the cup in there it drains out that hole and then the foam goes right out the return and into the tank.

Anyways I've put a piece of duck tape over it and will see what happens.

Maybe you need to lower the cup depth to cover it. Isn't the cup depth adjustable by moving the silicone band on it up or down to adjust the foam hiegth in the neck.

Watch for over flow of foam when you pull the cup to dump it.

I'm under the impression that this is were I'd want the foam to be at. If I lower the cup any more then it will just flow right out the neck, filling the cup up with nothing but water.
AB4521B6-FBE1-4139-9702-5BABD5C093BA-7312-00000ADC429D7B4A_zps9b890846.jpg

Update: First couple of weeks I wasn't getting much YUCK. Had just did a 5 1/2g WC the day before i added this skimmer, which in a 26g med bio-load leaves the water pretty clean.
Soooo here's what I'm now getting every 3 days. Haven't done a WC since 2/9/13.
Not bad right?!
uhy8a9y4.jpg

Some changes I've noticed since the beginning. Of course sparkling water, really! Bubble algae is receding! Here's an iffy one...whether its from adding a new true actinic or the skimmer my Candy Cane is NOT happy :( Polyps are more pinched looking?

Could be the new bulb, maybe just needs to adjust. Could also be the new skimmer, making the water just a lil to clean for mr. candy cane. There, how was that? Helpful, without being helpful...lmao! My work here is done.

Could be the new bulb, maybe just needs to adjust. Could also be the new skimmer, making the water just a lil to clean for mr. candy cane. There, how was that? Helpful, without being helpful...lmao! My work here is done.

Roflmao! Did you even break a sweat?

Back