Reef Octopus xp 1000 sss

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

klwheat

So, my skimmer (junk berlin 250) has been trying to die for a couple of weeks and finally succeeded - about a week ago. Last night my reef octopus xp1000sss arrived. I was sooo excited to get a WORKING skimmer...and a nice one at that.
Anyway, my water level in my skimmer was at 14" and I wanted to lower it to 10" for the new skimmer. Easy enough, shouldn't take long (famous last words) :(
Figured I'd remove the first piece of acrylic in my bubble trap, cut the 2nd one shorter, and put the first back in - lower the water level.
Well, thin acrylic, and late evening before heading to bed combine to foil me as usual. The 2nd layer shattered instead - so after getting shards of acrylic out of my sump, my skimmer and return sections are now connected with NO bubble trap/baffling.
However, the sump survived to be fixed another day, and the skimmer is rockin'.
Very pleased thus far. Will post pics later - at work now.

Hate to say this now, but would it have been easier to build a small stand for the skimmer to sit on?
Or is the height it would be, make it to tall?

I had the old one on a stand (well, upside-down tupperware container...lol). But with the new, improved (ie larger) skimmer....that much height would have been an issue. However, I wish i'd just done the stand for last night so i didn't have to lose the extra sleep...lol
I should know better than to do ANYTHING with the aquarium if I expect to get to sleep anytime soon.

so...update. A couple of days breaking in so far and all looks good. I'm skimming wet right now, trying to keep letting it flow for the time being. However, the cup is HUGE and even wet I can probably go about 5 days without touching it. It started pulling gunk out within an hour of turning it on...and hasn't stopped yet.
+1 for the super reef octopus xp 1000 sss.

Back