reef safe fish to control pests

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltwaterfishes

12 Step Zoa Program
Hi. I recently setup a 45g tank, it would be nice to upgrade from 65g to 125g. But the thought doing a larger tank is overwhelming. I have 2 ocellaris clowns and a small hippo tang. Can someone help me pick out a couple fish that will keep pests under control and reef safe?

That small Hippo Tang will soon outgrow that tank. The 125 would be more appropriate. It's not just about the size of the fish, but the fish need for room to swim. Most tangs stress out with less than 4'-6' of room to dash back and forth.

With your current fish load, I could recommend any other fish. If you were to rehome the Tang, I'd recommend a 6 lined wrasse and a lawnmower blenny. The wrasse will keep pests at bay and the blenny will keep algae at bay.

Thanks! I will be looking for a lawnmower blenny. Do you think the six line wrasse will pick on the fish that are in the tank right now? I can part with the hippo when it's bigger, but I don't want to have to get rid of the 2 clowns when the six line wrasse gets larger and more aggressive. I had to get rid of a six line wrasse before and had to take everyday apart to get to him. Luckily he was in a 24g aquapod, re-aquascape was not so bad.

A canary wrasse would be a good addition to your tank. They are not nearly as aggressive as Six Lines and will still do a good job on pest control duties.

A canary wrasse would be a good addition to your tank. They are not nearly as aggressive as Six Lines and will still do a good job on pest control duties.

I was reading up on the canary wrasse, do I need a sandbed? I forgot I also have a fire shrimp.

Regarding the original post -- don't let pests in and they won't have to be dealt with. Also, don't setup the conditions that keep pests well nourished.

Fish should be acquired for their own beauty and because you enjoy them, not to handle a problem that can be avoided. Once the fish 'takes care of the problem' then what is the fish to live on?

That small Hippo Tang will soon outgrow that tank. The 125 would be more appropriate. It's not just about the size of the fish, but the fish need for room to swim. Most tangs stress out with less than 4'-6' of room to dash back and forth.

With your current fish load, I could recommend any other fish. If you were to rehome the Tang, I'd recommend a 6 lined wrasse and a lawnmower blenny. The wrasse will keep pests at bay and the blenny will keep algae at bay.

Mike you have always stressed in the past to others that Tangs needed at least a 6 feet tank. So why you say 4-6ft tank? It's not because you have a 4ft 200g tank now is it?

Thanks! I will be looking for a lawnmower blenny. Do you think the six line wrasse will pick on the fish that are in the tank right now? I can part with the hippo when it's bigger, but I don't want to have to get rid of the 2 clowns when the six line wrasse gets larger and more aggressive. I had to get rid of a six line wrasse before and had to take everyday apart to get to him. Luckily he was in a 24g aquapod, re-aquascape was not so bad.

Kaitlyn I would put the sixline in last as myself and some others I know always had them bully all new comers. Lawnmower/Tangs for algea control, some type of sand sifting gobies to keep the sand clean some wrasses will eat FW.

Mike you have always stressed in the past to others that Tangs needed at least a 6 feet tank. So why you say 4-6ft tank? It's not because you have a 4ft 200g tank now is it?

I remember reading others stress 6' tanks. I don't recall ever doing so myself, except for Tangs that are known to get very large, such as Hippo Tangs, which can become one of the largest adult sizes. I've usually recommended tank size for Tangs, by volumn, not length. Species of Tang also plays a large part in this. For instance, in my 75, I kept a Tang, but it was a Yellow Tang, which doesn't grow as large. In my 200 deep dimension, which is 4' long, I'm keeping 2 Tangs, a Purple and Lavender Tang, which also don't grow as large as many other. Even though the 200 is 4' long, it's also 3' deep. Lots of swimming room. Much different than the 75, which is 48X18.

It does seem like whenever people stress that Tangs are in too small of a tank, there's always those few, who come back and argue the fact. But again, it's not just about the adult size of the fish, it's about the fact that Tang's need lots of swimming room, even as juveniles.

As for a 6 Lined Wrasse, I have read where a lot of people having problems with them becoming bullies. I guess I've been fortunate to never experience that. Mine have never even bullied fish introduced after them.

I remember reading others stress 6' tanks. I don't recall ever doing so myself, except for Tangs that are known to get very large, such as Hippo Tangs, which can become one of the largest adult sizes. I've usually recommended tank size for Tangs, by volumn, not length. Species of Tang also plays a large part in this. For instance, in my 75, I kept a Tang, but it was a Yellow Tang, which doesn't grow as large. In my 200 deep dimension, which is 4' long, I'm keeping 2 Tangs, a Purple and Lavender Tang, which also don't grow as large as many other. Even though the 200 is 4' long, it's also 3' deep. Lots of swimming room. Much different than the 75, which is 48X18.

It does seem like whenever people stress that Tangs are in too small of a tank, there's always those few, who come back and argue the fact. But again, it's not just about the adult size of the fish, it's about the fact that Tang's need lots of swimming room, even as juveniles.

As for a 6 Lined Wrasse, I have read where a lot of people having problems with them becoming bullies. I guess I've been fortunate to never experience that. Mine have never even bullied fish introduced after them.

It's all good LOL. I just notice alot of do as I say not as I do. You have no problem telling folks that they are overloading thier tank or thier tank is too small for this and that. Then when I read your thread you have just as much stuff in your tank or things others might consider not suitable for the size tank. Not trying to start anything but I do see alot of contraditions.

Regarding the original post -- don't let pests in and they won't have to be dealt with. Also, don't setup the conditions that keep pests well nourished.

Fish should be acquired for their own beauty and because you enjoy them, not to handle a problem that can be avoided. Once the fish 'takes care of the problem' then what is the fish to live on?

Thanks for chiming in Lee. No one wants to bring pests into their system but it happens to a lot of us. There are many fish that can help take care of unwanted pests and will also eat frozen food. Base on the size of my tank (45g), I'm limited to what I can have. I'm hoping someone can assist me in choosing the proper fish.

I agree. Nobody wants to introduce pests, but it happens to all of us at one time or another. A natural predator that eats the pests are a lot better than throwing unwanted chemicals in the tank.

I always think of any fish that eats pest as a huge added bonus. I am definitely going to be adding a six line wrasse to my tank at some point. However, it was an ugly boring fish it would be a different story

Back