Reef safe glue for bonding plastics?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xxkenny90xx

So I picked up some used circulation pumps last night and a piece of one of them broke off during their all night water/vinegar soak (too long?) . I'm wondering if there is a study, reef safe adhesive I can use to fix it? I have super glue gel (doubting its strong enough) and 100% silicone on hand so I'd prefer to use one of them? Or should I pick up some type of epoxy or something? Thanks

I have a tube of weld on #16 that I've used to glue plastic pieces back together. Just did that the other day, with a small pump that the barb snapped off. Glued back on just fine for me.

I have been using E6000 for 8 years with great results. You can buy it at Tap Plastics or JoAnn's hobby store

The Materials Safety Data Sheet for E6000 says not to use in aquariums, I don't know why, but I have heard that there are many who do use it with no problem. It is also great to use to bond acrylic to glass, in fact about the only thing I know of that works. Weldon 16 works well with plastic to plastic.

Thanks guys, I'll check out the craft store. Soldering sounds good but I think the plastic is too thin. Great idea though

Back