Reefkeeper Lite pros & cons

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spllbnd2

I would like to know if anyone has used or is using the Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite model.I am looking at this little controller for the soul reason being that it seems to be a good controller for $100.

I am thinking about getting this to control my T5 light set up and a couple of powerheads in a 20L frag/prop display. Any comments on the likes and dislikes of these units?

Cheers,
Alex

Forgot to mention that I am familiar with the ReefKeeper2 controller. I use this on my 20H mixed reef.

Cheers,
Alex

I picked up a ReefKeeper Lite lvl3 about two weeks ago. It was pretty simple to setup and does almost everything I want or expect a controller at this price point to do.

The documentation that comes with the controller sucks. It gives you just enough information on how to do basic programming but leaves out some details. If you run into troubles their forum support seems to be pretty helpful.

Here is a tip if you decide to buy this controller for the setup you list above. The power strip comes with two 5 amp relay switched outlets and two 3 amp solid state switched outlets. You will want to plug your power heads into the 5 amp outlets otherwise they may not shut off when you expect them to. Apparently if you plug low power draw devices into the solid state outlets they may stick on.

One CON that has been bugging me lately, especially since this is on a new tank is the logging feature. The log only shows High, Low and Average over a 6hr time period. It would be nice to be able to see my temp and pH swings over a 24hr period. The 6hr logging limit feels like an artificial knee cap imposed as an incentive to upgrade to the elite.

Thanks for the info. I think I did read about the ph sticking on somewhere. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

I guess logging feature to me isn't all that important right now as I use a software program on my pc for aquarium data logs. Granted it isn't a 24hr log but it does the job. *lol*

Okay so here it it is received it and finally had a chance to play with the set up last night. This thing is nice. I really like the fact that the system has the capability to grow with the system. One gripe that I do have on the ReefKeeper Lite versus the ReefKeeper 2 that I have is the fact that the RK lite control head and power strip are both made out of plastic! How cheesy is that? Okay I can understand cutting costs and that as I work in the automotive industry and can say I see first hand cost cutting measures (No passenger side door locks on Dodge,Chrysler and Jeep vehicles).

Anyways it is definatly a keeper. And it has been holding temp steady at 78.5 degrees with only a 00.4 degree difference (I do have a .005 swing) *lol*. Lights are all programmed including the fuge which is nice as I use to have to remember to turn the thing on every night. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

That's pretty sweet!
I'm a total noob when it comes to controllers... but am getting tired of multiple timers and not enough room under the stand of my new nano...

Looking for a basic unit that can control:
-heater+chiller
-actinic/HM/moonlights
-2-3 powerheads
-a timed top-off pump

Is the RK Lite the best controller, and how do I know which level to buy--all their acronyms are a PITA in to decipher, LOL! ;)

(And how much it your setup cost? of course)

Hi Scytale,

My set up at the moment is the Reefkeeper Lite level 1. This included one power strip and the control head unit. I currently use the unit to control 3 lights (basic lights along with refugium light) and a heater for a 20 long aquarium set up. I am planning on adding anothe PC$ (powerstrip) in the future.

As for what you would like to control I would go with the ReefKeeper Lite level 3 as you would have a total of 8 outlets. Otherwise you could start with the RK L1 and have 4 outlets, then later purchase another powerstrip (PC4). With level 3 you also get a Ph probe, and the SL1 input module which you could use to control you ATO system.

Price break downs are located on DA's website
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKL

Hope this helps,
Alex

Thanks for the explanation, Alex!

(BTW: I still haven't gotten my build thread posted yet but here's a pic of your/my rocks in all thier cycling/hair algae-y glory. :D )

Glad to be of assistance. BTW great lookin rocks. :D If you're ever heading out this way give me a ring or PM and I'll show you the Reefkeeper lite if you'd like. Kind of a hands on sort of.*lol*
Cheers,
Alex

If you want to control more than four outlets you can buy two of the level 1 controllers. You would then have a controller and 8 outlets for 200 bucks. You also have another head unit as a spare. The only downside to this is you don't get the sl1, so no pH or auto top off. But it is another 100 dollars for the sl1 and pH probe, so you don't lose anything when you upgrade.

Or you could get a RK Lite Level 1 and purchase an additional PC4 for 90.00 and only be into it around 190.00 without having the SL1 for Ph or ATO. Just my 2¢ as it would save about 10.00 and would be a bit more simplified with one control head rather than two.

braddo,
The 5 amp relays are the end plugs if I remember correctly.
spllbnd2,
not going to mount the head unit on the outside? Yeah, I love the feeding mode.
They are working on upgrading their myreef software. This is what little info I got. Doesn't look like full support of the net module, but maybe the ability to download logs?
Originally Posted by iunknown View Post
Scott,
Can the orp/controller be used to control an ozone generator?
Also, is the usb only used for upgrading firmware? Any way to download the logs onto a PC? I read on your support forum that the reef software releases in a year and connects a RKL to a computer? Was the information correct?
1) Yes, any input can be used to control any output! So you can do what you're asking!

2) Currently it's just for updating. We announced that myReef will be out by the end of the year. Our free application will have a lot of great features! But we're not releasing any info at this time... (Competitive issues...)

braddo,
The 5 amp relays are the end plugs if I remember correctly.
spllbnd2,
not going to mount the head unit on the outside? Yeah, I love the feeding mode.
They are working on upgrading their myreef software. This is what little info I got. Doesn't look like full support of the net module, but maybe the ability to download logs?

Actually I am in the process of making a nice mounting platform on my desk for the control head for the RKL and the RK2 that I have on my other tank. That way both tanks controls will be easy access. *lol*

So many little projects with so little time.

Still enjoying the RK Lite, any updates?
Thinking og getting one. I used to have a Neptune 3 on the big tank.
Just using misc timers etc now

I'm still using my RKL and it does the job however I am finding more and more that I want more advanced features that the RKL doesn't allow such as setting multiple alarms for a single device. I am also getting tired of watching the Digital Aquatics support forums where they announce a feature and a release date only to have it perpetually delayed.

That being said I think the base RKL is hard to beat for its price. $100 gets you 4 controllable outlets allowing you to setup a precise temperature controller, actinic and daylight timers with the ability to automatically turn off your lights if the temp get too high.

Still enjoying the RK Lite, any updates?
Thinking og getting one. I used to have a Neptune 3 on the big tank.
Just using misc timers etc now

Hi Mike,

Yes still enjoying the RK Lite. Actually I have ordered a second PC4 (power strip) for the unit to expand its capabilities. I have yet to encounter any issues while using it.

Pros thus far, Simple interface, keeps my temp at 78.5f constant, timer use is simple and never hear any clicks from the unit, Price and upgradable and most of all I am helping our local economy by purchasing something made by a company here in Washington.

All and all I would say I give it 5 stars thus far. I really like the fact that I was able to get a nice controller for under $100 and have the ability to add to it as my system grows.

I do plan on purchasing the RK Elite for the 65H display tank that I am currently building for the living room.

Back