Reeflux 400w 12K - glass shard inside

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sakimaru8

I just received the bulb with glass pieces from reefdepot and emailed them and they replied:

"the glass pieces that are floating around are normal.. it happens in 90% of the reeflux bulbs. as long as the bulb itself isnt broken.. its fine.. it should fire right up.

this is from the manufacturer.
- reefdepot"

Is this normal for Reeflux? Is this safe? I have had AB, Hamilton, XM, Iwasaki and Radium thru out my 15 years of reef/marine but I have never encounter broken shard of glass in the bulb.

Comments or advice please. Thanks.

Fred

I hope the small pieces are quartz not glass but thats maybe why they break.
Very common the owner of coralvue says the same , no harm.
buy they from a LFS that way you could see it in person and choose.:)

i love the reeflux bulbs. i think most people who have tried them like them as well. good color and good par

Funny. I bought two 400W 12k reefluxes at barrier reef on sunday and didn't check them out before I got them home. 1 had the shards and 1 didn't. I tried them both and they fired right up and seem like they work the same. Doesn't seem like it affects anything, but I was definately nervous too.

those pics dont show the 'normal' shards, I use those same exact bulbs, and Ive gotten only 1 out of 5 that has that type of breakage the manufacturer sent me a new one, claiming thats shipping damage, the 'normal' shards are form the center glass part in the bulb and it usually looks like salt pieces.

Yes, they don't look normal. Pieces came from the glass that encased the rod next to the center/nipple/arc piece. I guess it is for heat insulation of the steel rod that may bend and shatter the arc/nipple piece when rapidly heated and cooled by on /off cycle.

I'll try and contact them again.

fred

Back