Refractometer for poor people

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thrawn

I see super expensive refractometers all over the place. So, simple question, why not just buy this one?

Amazon.com: Salinity Refractometer, Aquarium & Seawater - Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 S.G.): Pet Supplies

I've been wanting to pick one up, just haven't been able to spend too much money. The one in the link reviewed really well, but the price just seems too good to be true, so I wanted to see if you guys had any opinions. Thanks!

Been using the same one for 3yrs...works great! Price has dropped ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Someone please tell me the difference between the two besides the price? Because I sure couldn't find any.

The BRS one came with calibration fluid. Also, and most influential to my decision, I had a coupon from BRS lol

I see super expensive refractometers all over the place. So, simple question, why not just buy this one?

Amazon.com: Salinity Refractometer, Aquarium & Seawater - Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 S.G.): Pet Supplies

I've been wanting to pick one up, just haven't been able to spend too much money. The one in the link reviewed really well, but the price just seems too good to be true, so I wanted to see if you guys had any opinions. Thanks!

That's the one I have, works great. In short. there is nothing wrong with it. In fact I did a review on it on the Amazon website under reviews, page 3 by ET. This doesn't fall under the "you get what you pay for" category. I highly recommend it, it came in a plastic box, with a pipette for obtaining a sample, a screwdriver for adjustment (it came already calibrated, and I check it often and it is still spot on.

That's the one I have, works great. In short. there is nothing wrong with it. In fact I did a review on it on the Amazon website under reviews, page 3 by ET. This doesn't fall under the "you get what you pay for" category. I highly recommend it, it came in a plastic box, with a pipette for obtaining a sample, a screwdriver for adjustment (it came already calibrated, and I check it often and it is still spot on.

Yuppers!! Plus you can find calibration fluid for like $6-$8 bucks shipped. Not doggin BRS as I shop with them all the time...being a single mom, a Nana and a reefer...I got the bargin hunting down to a science :)

I have the BRS Refractometer as well, its quick and easy to use. When I did the initial cal I floated the calibration solution bottle in my tank to get the temp difference down.

just buy any refractometer the key is calibration solution i cal mine before every use temp changes really throws thees things off. also ebay is where i got mine for cheap. hope this helps happy shopping. lol

No. .. hydrometers r old school krish =p

U prob don't test anyways. Just scoop it out the front yard don't ya???
I didn't pay more than $45 for mine either for the record. Mine is a vertex.
American pinpoint readouts would b nice. One for salt and one for cal.
-d

I got a vertex also for right around $45 from Barrier. Works great. I asked them to calibrate it befor I bought it and they did. it was spot on. Worth the money. Hydrometers always seem to be off. They are mass produced and not calibrated. I had a floating thermometer/Hydrometer my brother bought and the paper gauge inside would move up and down. So it was never the same reading.

The glass floating hydrometers r better than the plastic ones from wat I hear or know. Hydrometers r also calibrated within a tolerance but over time they go out of wack and idk if you can recalibrate em. Ive always suggested to test several times with a hydrometer and take a medium. Or median idk lol.
The floating hydrometers r supposed to b put in a cup of sw too I think not the actual tank. Maybe thats why it bounced on ya? I've never used a floater.
-d

Ive always suggested to test several times with a hydrometer and take a medium. Or median idk lol.

-d

The last straw for me with my hydrometer was when I tested my salt bucket for a water change and the first time it came out with a SG of 1.019, and I rinsed and repeated to get an off the chart SG. Had to have a buddy come over to test it just so I could do my damn weekly water change.

There's a reason we have 5 store use hydrometers in my store.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back