refugium plants help???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

johny99

Setting up my new refugium (sump is 50g) refugium (15g)
Besides Cheato what should I be loading my refugium with.

Mechanical I am using a Octopus 200x. My show tank is 110g

They have and they do. Personally I don't cause chaeto works great. It's fast growing, easy to prune and is readily available. From what I've heard, mangroves are too slow growing to really work that well.

I put some red mangrove seeds in my tank about a month ago. They are, indeed, slow growing, but the idea is that they better remove phosphates and other chemical contaminants. They are definitely not as efficient as chaeto, but are a nice supplement to the refugium as a whole. Watch 'em, though, as they are trees and will soon outgrow most refuges!

I was able to get some from another reefer. I appreciate the offer. I have to say that the people on reef frontiers are very giving. This is a very nice forum. I have learned alot. I don't post very often, just do a lot of reading and learning.

I would put as many different types of macro algae's as you can get in your fuge. It gives your pods a diverse diet :), plus if you have tangs/angels/foxfaces etc., you will have a variety of live natural food to feed them.

+1 on Bigblue's advice diversity is almost always best and Tangs really like Grape Caulerpa (also a fast grower) plus it makes a great bubble diffuser.

Todd

+2 Bio diversity for the pods. I currently have about four different types of macro algae in my fuge.

in my sump iam using it for skimmer and heater, the middle is open, what and how do i start using macros,like and thing in the bottom of the fuge, lighting times ect.....i have a 13w 6700k light that fits over my fuge, would that work?

For my fuge I have one of the compact fluorescent plant bulbs and a clip on utility reflector from lowe's.

Bulb: ~$5
Reflector: ~$7

Not sure what you mean thing in the bottom of the fuge. My fuge is bare bottom. I have a piece or 2 of LR in it, but its mostly empty except for tons of macro algae. Barebottom makes it a lot easier to clean out the dead plant debris

Last edited:
in my sump iam using it for skimmer and heater, the middle is open, what and how do i start using macros,like and thing in the bottom of the fuge, lighting times ect.....i have a 13w 6700k light that fits over my fuge, would that work?

As far as how you start using them. Put them in your area you plan on keeping them. Some people toss some sand in or use a deep sand bed. It's personal preference for the most part.

I leave my light on 24/7 over my fuge. Some people run their light opposite of the light over your tank as well. That light would work, bit I'd bump the wattage up. Switch it out for a 27w when you get a chance.

For my fuge I have one of the compact fluorescent plant bulbs and a clip on utility reflector from lowe's.

Bulb: ~$5
Reflector: ~$7

Not sure what you mean thing in the bottom of the fuge. My fuge is bare bottom. I have a piece or 2 of LR in it, but its mostly empty except for tons of macro algae. Barebottom makes it a lot easier to clean out the dead plant debris
thats what i ment,,,bb

As far as how you start using them. Put them in your area you plan on keeping them. Some people toss some sand in or use a deep sand bed. It's personal preference for the most part.

I leave my light on 24/7 over my fuge. Some people run their light opposite of the light over your tank as well. That light would work, bit I'd bump the wattage up. Switch it out for a 27w when you get a chance.
how much do i start out with, and what do i do to maintain it....

Hmm, as far as 'using' the macros. You just put them in and let them grow. They absorb nutrients. If you let them die and decompose, whatever they absorbed is released, so pull stuff out that looks like it is dying.

As they grow, also pull stuff out when it gets dense. This will also permenantly remove whatever nutrients they have absorbed from your system, and allow light penetration so the stuff in there keeps growing.

Not sure if that was what you were asking....

rob

Back