refugium question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ambers20

so this may be a stupid question but i have a lot of pods growing in my hang on fuge. Do i have to put them in my tank or will they get in there on their own? I have never had a fuge before so i was just curious. they seem to all hang out below where the input tube is so i think that they are staying away from the return. just curious.

Some of them will get sucked into your main tank. But Fuges are great places for them to breed and populate.

May want to look into Miracle Mud for your Refugium

I use the product in my 180 and have found nothing but wonderful things happen with my tank...

I use the product in my 180 and have found nothing but wonderful things happen with my tank...

meh...IMO, miracle mud is no miracle....
I wish I had the report of when someone put it through a gas spectrometer...it was laiden with massive heavy metals and wasnt from the ocean whatsoever, in fact, it had terrestrial debris from trees and plants mixed in with it as well... when it first came out I sold and ran this product for years and have spoken with leng cy at length about the proper ways to employ this product...
my best advice based upon dealing with many tanks that employed this method is to stay away from this product.
use rubble live rock for a media in your refugium, there will be more surface area for pods and mysids to hide in and propagate, as well as it's massively easier to clean out the detritus that settles in your fuge with rock rubble.
if your macroalgae needs iron or iodine, then dose those items, to me that makes better sense than to use something that leaches metals into your system 24/7.

Last edited:
meh...IMO, miracle mud is no miracle....
I wish I had the report of when someone put it through a gas spectrometer...it was laiden with massive heavy metals and wasnt from the ocean whatsoever, in fact, it had terrestrial debris from trees and plants mixed in with it as well... when it first came out I sold and ran this product for years and have spoken with leng cy at length about the proper ways to employ this product...
my best advice based upon dealing with many tanks that employed this method is to stay away from this product.
use rubble live rock for a media in your refugium, there will be more surface area for pods and mysids to hide in and propagate, as well as it's massively easier to clean out the detritus that settles in your fuge with rock rubble.
if your macroalgae needs iron or iodine, then dose those items, to me that makes better sense than to use something that leaches metals into your system 24/7.

I also remember reading something about that a few years ago

I'd use just live sand vice the miracle mud.

As far as the copepods, when they are little they will end up getting sucked up and sent to the main tank. The ones that are able to stay in the fuge, will grow up and make more babies.

I'd use just live sand vice the miracle mud.

As far as the copepods, when they are little they will end up getting sucked up and sent to the main tank. The ones that are able to stay in the fuge, will grow up and make more babies.

Hey man, good advice...but watch for the date on these posts. This post(and many others that you are posting to) have been long gone for a while and it kinda looks like you are just post spamming to get you post count up.

I personally have no problem with that when you are providing good advice on a recent topics that are generating interest. My $.02

Back