Regal Angel fish in a reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wgregww

I keep hearing diiferent opinions on keeping a regal angel in a reef tank, what is your opinions.

Thanks
Greg:?:

it really depends on how much YOU like your corals.....you could put it in and nothing happens or it could wipe out everything. it is kind of like gambling. it is really up to you though, becuase if you know that you can catch it easily i would get it. another thing to take into consideration is that Pygoplites diacnthus can be wery difficult to keep in captivity. what size is your tank and how much LR do you have?

by the way, WELCOME TO REEF FRONTEIRS!!!!!!
-augustus

Greg,

With angelfish (and particularly this fish), I would like to see it eating food in my presence. Also, if you can finid a LFS that would hold this fish for you for at least 10-14 days, this would be better. Keep in mind most Regal angelfish don't make it in captivity. I would highly recommend you read the Regal angel thread on Reefcentral.com web site. This thread contains great info and personal experiences of reefers owning this fish.

I have known some people to go thru 1-2 regal angel before they find a hardy one. And this fish is not cheap, so do your research and if you have an extra $100-150 you wanna gamble with, go for it !! :)

the search function of reefcentral is down (imagine that), once it is back up I will try and find the RA thread for you.

my .02
Kirk

I have one right now and only have SPS. It is great at getting rid of my Aptasia. i like the fish but it does take a little work to get them to eat many times.

get the yellow belly one instead of grey for greater success :)

Back