Remora pro skimmer help needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jessiniki

I just purchased a used Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump, and I am really confused as to how to install it in the tank (I have to use it as a hang on). The pump feels pretty heavy to just let it hang there from the skimmer into the tank -- should I have something supporting it? Also, are there any guidelines as to where to put the skimmer in relation to the filter? I have a fluval canister filter that has the input and output in one corner of the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

I have seen the pumps hanging from the input line, I didnt like it either. It seems to work, but if you could support it I would. It really doesnt matter where in relation to the canister you put the skimmer. I mean it would be nice if it sucked up water that was away from the filter input and outlet but it will be ok if its close too. If you have some old hagen suction cup mounts for the power heads you could tiestrap the pump to two of them and put it on like that, maybe? Just a idea. Steve

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! You could also try and superglue the suction cups (that steve mentioned) to an algae magnet, that way you won't have to worry about the pump falling if the suction cups give way.

you can just change out the hose for a longer one and let the pump sit on the bottom, or on a rock closer to the bottom. i've done this without any noticable effect on productivity.
unless you have a deep tank that should be fine.
or you could buy their surface skimmer/bubble catcher.

The pump to my Remora Pro has been 'hanging' with only a plastic hose clamp on it. As a matter of fact, when i have to remove the pump for cleaning, it is very difficult to remove it from the hose.

Or the better option, IMO, would be to buy the surface skimmer box for it, so you get the surface skimming, and support under the Mag 3. Mine works great that way. My only complaint is that you can't prefilter it at all that way. Guess that rules out neon gobies for that tank!

Barbie

Back