Remora Skimmers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wchill

Octopi
Can anyone advise me on the effectiveness/quality of a Remora Skimmer on a 50 gal. reef setup? My SeaClone (please, no Sea Clown comments).. is not working too well after a year. NO, I HAVE NOT INSTALLED A MESS MOD. I need a new skimmer and the Remora seems reasonably priced and fits the configuration I am looking for. I need/want a back tank mounted type due to space restrictions.

For starters, just wanted to let you know I moved your thread to the skimmer section for you to get the best possible feedback. :)

As for your question, you may hear, "There are a lot better skimmers out there than a remora!", but personally my Remora nano I had with the maxijet1200 worked perfectly fine for my on my 24 gal aquapod. The tank wasn't heavily stocked and I did weekly water changes, but I didn't see any reason to ever swap it out as it pulled its weight. Same went for my AquaC EV-120. Many better skimmers were out there at the time, but this skimmer worked perfectly fine for my application on both the 75gal I had and the 38 gal. :)

i have a CPR and hydor skimmer but i have heard that remora makes a decent model as well!

I have a Remora Pro on my 50g, which replaced an old SeaClone about 9 months ago. The only problem I've had with it is that it's not consistent with the amount of skimmate it pulls out. It will go for weeks with barely a dribble, then switch into full drive mode to the point we've accidentally let the skimmate cup overflow onto the carpet a couple of times! I think the skimmate cups come in two different styles, one with a drain on it and one without. I'd say try to find one with the drain so you can connect it to a hose and let it dribble down into a bucket to prevent those unsightly overflows. The drain isn't without issue though - that's the feature that allowed us to overflow (our house is for sale, and we don't have a good place for the drain bucket except for right next to the tank, which is rather unsightly, so we removed it. Then we left for the weekend... ) A cork in the drain helped, but the vent hole on the top of the cup does still allow for sputtering foam to get out if you still let it go too long without dumping!

Long story short, the Remora works fine for us, is far better than the SeaClone, and is certainly easier than fitting the tank for a sump setup. Just keep a close eye on that skimmate cup!

Hey, just to add another to Mark's list above I'd also look at the Eshopps HOB models 75 & 100. I have had the 75 HOB on my high-bioload 75g system for over a year and only complaint is the relatively small collection cup, should have went with the 100 model. The main reason I chose this skimmer over others is the pump is mounted to bottom of skimmer and not in-tank (very clean) I replaced my much more expensive ASM-G3 in-sump to go to a all fuge sump so needed a hang on style and
for a $150 retail priced skimmer I couldn't ask much more.

Cheers, Todd

OK, I purchased a AquaMaxx HOB-1. It set up nicely and quickly. However. the bubbles/foam are screaming into the collectrion cup. The manual says to set the bottom of tyhe cup 1/2" to 1" below water level. I have it set 1" above water level and it is scrreaming with bubles. Good thing this ubnit has an overflow back into the chamber. Will this slow down after a few days?

OK, I purchased a AquaMaxx HOB-1. It set up nicely and quickly. However. the bubbles/foam are screaming into the collectrion cup. The manual says to set the bottom of tyhe cup 1/2" to 1" below water level. I have it set 1" above water level and it is scrreaming with bubles. Good thing this ubnit has an overflow back into the chamber. Will this slow down after a few days?

Almost all skimmers have a break in period, however I'm not familiar with this particular skimmer. Hopefully Mark chimes in soon. Whenever you feel like breaking out the camera, post some pics of it! We love pics!! And keep us up to date with how the skimmer works out for you. :)

I bought mine off Craigslist with the 1200 motor.
Works great once I had it tuned.
Amazing what it takes out... It is in a 36 Gallon Bow Front

Now I need to get one for my new 55 gallon tank........

The yellow air tube??.

Anyway, IT all seems to be working very well now. However I am still trying to get my nitrates down. I did a 20%+ water change and the skimmer went crazing dumping aot of clean water into my cup. So much and so fast it even overflowed the "overflow" a couple gallons onto the carpet, AAAURRGUGG!!!!. SO is this common? Also when I dump the collection cup I sometimes clean all the skimmate out the chamber and cup and rinse with hot water (per instructions) and then it seems to trake another day before it starts working again. SHould you clean the crud from the tube/chamber our leave it and just dump the cup of its contents?? BTW yuo folks are a great resource. thanks..

Back